1939 Register and Examination Papers

4 replies [Last post]
j.jones368

Can anyone tell me why a name on the register is crossed out and unable to receive the information?  I am referring to an adult.  I would expect children to be cross out.  I have this case on the Grandmother of my Husband, though not his Grandfather as his Grandmother remarried after his Grandfather died.

Have Examination papers been digitised and if so can we get them on computers?

Michael J Hulme

Hello

It would help if you told us the name of the family and enough detail to find them in the 1939 register.

Entries are redacted (obscured) when the person may possibly still be alive. Maybe the entry refers to someone who was a child in 1939 and not the person you are expecting.

I am not clear what you mean by your last paragraph.  The original records have been digitally photographed and are available on the Find my Past web site. (Fee payable)

Mike

j.jones368

William H Carter married Fanny Odwell in 1928.  William b1872 and Fanny b1892.  William is 3rd Husband to Fanny.  (First Husband died WW1 and second Husband 1927).  I retrieved the register to the address of 31 Sinclair Gardens, Ketley.  William died 1963 and Fanny 1949.  They had one son b1928 who died 12 months ago.  The register looks like William H name is crossed off and wondered why.  There are also two names of Lowndes who were the sons of the Husband who died in WW1.  The daughter Annie Elizabeth is the Daughter to the second Husband and my Mother-in-law.  So I know this is the correct family as my Husband lived in the same house until he and I married with his parents.

As to the examination papers I looked for them under A-Z and requested examination papers and settlement papers under FMP but nothing came up.  I would need to look for names if that is the only way to do it.

Michael J Hulme

Hello

I would guess that the year of birth of William H CARTER has been transcribed wrongly making him look much younger than he actually was and that is why the entry is shown as closed.

I had a relative where the situation was the exact opposite.  His year of birth had been transcribed wrongly making him look much older so the record was open even though he was still alive at the time.  He has since died in his 90's.

If you go to the transcription page for your family there is a button 'Open a closed record'.  I suggest you use this to try to get the record opened.

Mike

j.jones368

Thanks Mike and will have another look.  But as I have only done more research with blood link he is not direct line and as the Grandmother had three Husbands would agree with your theory.  Many thanks.