Arthur YOUNG (1864-1936) - Former Breeder of Racing Ponies

7 replies [Last post]
JohnW

Arthur Young was my great grandfather. The following is an obituary published in the Shrewsbury Chronicle dated 13/11/1936

Death of Mr Arthur Young

Former Breeder of Racing Ponies

Mr Arthur Young, of Moneybrook Farm, Bayston Hill, Shrewsbury, died on Tuesday aged 72 years. Mr Young was in the butchering trade for over half a century, retiring some ten years ago. Since then the business on Wyle Cop has been carried on by his son, Mr Percy Young.

A well known sportsman, Mr Young was formerly known as a breeder and trainer of racing ponies. At one time he possessed one of the best strings of ponies throughout the country, and with them won many prizes. Two sons and four daughters survive him. The funeral will take place at Shrewsbury Cemetary today (Friday) at 2.30 pm

I am trying to find out anything about his interest in horses and ponies, but have so far drawn a complete blank on the internet. Considering the glowing tribute to his string of animals I find it strange that I have not been able to find a single reference to him or any of his horses/races/wins.

I live a long way from Shropshire, so doing local research is not easy. I would be grateful for any information on Arthur’s equine interests.

Thanks in anticipation

John Williams

havern

Hello John,

Have Googled this and the Pony Racing Authority have a website. There is an email address of ponyracingauthority@jockeyclub.co.uk and also a telephone number & address for the Chief Executive - a lady who lives in South Shropshire. Maybe they have archives and could give you more information. Hope this helps. Hazel

JohnW

Hazel, many thanks for this, the number on their web site is actually Cheltenham Race Course. I rang and got offered shop, press office, catering etc. I have sent an email, and will let you know when I get a response.

John

JohnW

I have not heard back from the pony racing authority, so another dead end, and I move on once again. 

In researching Arthur Young's upbringing I noticed that his younger brother was born at Eyton on Severn in 1875.  At this point Arthur would have been 10 or 11 years old and would have just started work as an agricultural labourer. I note there is some sort of race meeting held at Eyton on Severn. This made me wonder whether his interest in horses started here, and whether he later used this race course as an owner and breeder. I have found a web site for Eyton Races and have sent an email to an address on this web site. 

I have looked at Eyton on Severn on Google and there appears to be very little there. I have also checked on a map dated around 1890 and there does not appear to be a named farm at  Eyton, just a mansion house destroyed by fire in the 18th century, and a tower, now used as a holiday let. Bearing in mind Arthur's family were 2 adults and 8 children, with 4 males of working age, all described as agricultural labourers, where would they have worked? 

I would be grateful for any information on Eyton, and what it had to offer a large working class family in and around 1875.

Michael J Hulme

Hello John

The pay per view web site Find my Past now has a lot of British newspapers available and you might just be lucky and find him mentioned.  If you search newspapers on this web site don't put the name in the names boxes but instead put "forename surname" (including the quotes) in the Keyword box. I have tried this and it works.

The Oswestry Library has a card name index to their local newspaper and whilst they are in the north west of the county again they might just have his name in the index.  They might be prepared to tell you by email if he is in the index but to make full use of the information you would probably need to visit the library to go through the microfilms and make prints of relevant articles.

Mike

JohnW

Thanks for this Michael.

I have sent an email to Oswestry Library and await a reponse. I will let you know if I have any luck.

I had no hits when I searched the newspaper section of Findmypast. I have also been using The British newspaper Archive but have had no luck there to date. 

Searching the internet for Arthur Young is no easy task. There is a famous agricultural reformer, author and statesman who wrote about farming methods in many counties (including Shropshire). The vast majority of hits on the internet are for this man. He is difficult to avoid. 

I have also had no joy with Eyton-on-Severn in the 1870s.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

JohnW

My request for information to Oswestry Library, was forwarded to Shropshire Archives. Both searches have returned nil results. I'm beginning to wonder who actually wrote my great grandfather's obituary.

GrahamOfSalop

I know it's not a lot of help, but two brothers, ancestors of my wife, had in their obituaries (6 years apart) somehow managed to swap places of birth (Hull and Oswestry), correct info confirmed by birth certificates! Who wrote those, the first to die had a surviving wife, who also survived the brother who lived with them.
So you can't believe everything you see in the papers wink

Graham