Brown of Caughley 1768

4 replies [Last post]
tsrplatelayer

From Stamford mercury Thursday June 23 1768:

"On Monday was married at Parrow(splodge on 1st two letters) by the Rev, Mr. Fail, Edward Pemberton, Esq; to the widow Brown of Caughley, with a fortune of 50,000L. Great quantities of meat and drink were given among the populace on the occasion."

Repeated in Kentish Gazette of 18 June 1768, with "Parrow", clear no splodge.

Caughley is in Barrow Parish, Rev. Mr. Fail the incumbent at the time. However this marriage is not in the Parish registers and a search on FMP and Ancestry reveals nothing. I have wills where they are available for the various deceased Brownes - no help.

I have ben researchinge the Browne family of Caughley Hall, an obvious start for the wealthy widow.

Jane nee Clowes, widow of Edward Browne dec. May 1750 - but the re is a burial record in the name Browne for her at Barrow 15 May 1779.

Penelope nee Grove, widow of Ralph Browne dec. 1743/44. - but there is a burial for her at Benthall 23 Mar 1763.

Ann nee Turner, wiod of Ralph Browne dec. MAy 1763. -  but there is a burial for her at benthall 23 Mar 1767

Then there are two brothers Charles Browne  (son of Ralph dec.170) bapt 11 Jul 1695 and John baopt 4 Aug 1692, bur. 17 Jun 1745 that I have not managed to trace who may hav had wives/widows.

Who is the Widow Brown with this fortune. Anyone any ideas?

Allan

Michael J Hulme

Hello Allan

I see that the Barrow register on Find my Past includes the Banns and the actual marriage register in a single entry and whilst the register also includes people who married by licence have you considered the possibility that your couple may have been married by Licence which is highly likely considering the wealth of the widow.  If a marriage licence exists it should be at Herefordshire Archive and Records Centre.

You have information from two newspapers but have you tried the free Welsh Newspapers just in case they turn up something different.

One minor point, the vicar writes his name as Fayle.

Mike

tsrplatelayer

Thanks - I hadnt tried Wesh Papers - but had a quick lookk - earliest is 1800

Possibly Hereford but more likely Worcester as Barrow is Dioces of Worcester, but that will have to wait until COVID dies down a bit,

Allan

John Sands

Hello Allan

Barrow is in the Diocese of Hereford, not Worcester, which is why Mike says if a marriage licence exists it should be at Herefordshire Archive and Records Centre.

As you have been researching the Browne family of Caughley Hall you are probably aware of Broseley Local History Society http://www.broseley.org.uk It may be worthwhile putting an enquiry in their newsletter.

John

tsrplatelayer

Thanks, John, for the correction. Still Hereford Archives will have to wait.

Nothing I have found on-line helps.

Allan