Farms on Hillside, Ditton Priors 1820 to 1939

9 replies [Last post]
chris southern

I am trying to find records from around 1820 to 1939 of tenants of Hillside Farm, Hill Farm & Bank Farm, Ditton Priors.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Chris

I am finding Hillside Farm and Bank Farm on the map but I can't locate Hill Farm at the moment nor can I find it listed in my gazetteer.

Hillside Farm is named on the Ordnance Survey maps around 1900 but Bank Farm isn't named until more recent times so I wonder if it has grown over the years.

I had hoped I might find something useful from the Tithe map and Apportionment in the mid 1800's but there doesn't seem to be any such thing for Ditton Priors parish although there is an Enclosure award with maps for 1841 but this is not available on line.

You could try Trade Directories.  There are some on the subscription web sites and some freely available on the Historical Directories of England & Wales web site.

Mike

chris southern

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your reply.

I think Hillside Farm has always been called that. Hill Farm is also known as No 2 Hillside. As you point out Bank Farm was known as No 11 Hillside.

I was hoping to gain access to any tenancy records from The Boyne Estate. The Estate Office says they no longer have the records on site to try Shropshire archives.

Many thanks again for your pointers.

Regards

Chris

Gwynne Chadwick
Hi Chris,

May I suggest you contact the Ditton Priors Local History Group.

Having attended one of their excellent annual exhibitions several years ago, I feel sure they could guide or assist you.

They seem to have an active Facebook page.

Gwynne
chris southern

Hi Gwynne,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have been in contact with them and have visited. Many thanks to Rona Cobb & Fiona Molloy for the help and advice I have received.

Regrds Chris

Peter Hall

Hi Gwynne,

Picking up on this old thread, I too am interested in getting access to the Boyne Estate tenancy records as my ancestors were farming over in Neenton and possibly around Burwarton.  Is the Ditton Priors Local History Group still the appropriate starting point please?

Best wishes

Peter

Gwynne Chadwick

Hi Peter,
Yes, I definitely think it would be worth while you contacting the Ditton Priors Local History Group.
However, my own involvement with the group is limited to attending their excellent local history event many years ago.
I was also going to suggest contacting the Boyne Estate (now the Burwarton Estate)  www.burwarton-estates.co.uk   Apparently the estates still manage over 180 properties. However, I note that in a previous reply, shown above by Chris Southern, the Estate office apparently said they no longer hold historical records and they suggested contacting Shropshire Archives.
Regards,
Gwynne

Peter Hall

Hi Gwynne,

I've reached out to the Ditton Priors Local History Group on Facebook just recently, so will wait for their feedback.  I notice that the last post to the Group was back in January 2020:(

I too contacted the Boyne Estate office in person back in May 2019 and was given a similar response, that Shropshire Archives is the place to visit, so am planning on doing this in early May.

Best wishes

Peter.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Peter

Well ahead of your visit to Shropshire Archives there are a few things you need to be aware of to plan your visit.

The material you want to see will almost certainly be original paper documents so you will need to register as a reader.

Many documents are stored off site and need to be ordered in advance and I would guess this might be the case here.  If you can't find specific references in the catalogue then I suggest you email the archives well in advance so they can look up what you want and advise you.

Depending how the estate papers are organised it might be a long job finding the information you want.  If you are travelling a long way it might be worth considering an overnight stay and if you are travelling by car I suggest you use the Harlescott Park & Ride which stops outside the railway station unless you have a particular reason to use one of the others.

Good luck with your search.

Mike

Peter Hall

Hi Mike,

Good advice, thanks.  Fortunately I have visited the Archives several times before, so have a readers ticket, albeit expired, so will need to refresh.

I have also taken your advice and sent of a query to Shropshire Archives with my area of interest.  I also plan to stay a couple of days in Shrewsbury.

Thanks again

Peter