Farms on Hillside, Ditton Priors 1820 to 1939

4 replies [Last post]
chris southern

I am trying to find records from around 1820 to 1939 of tenants of Hillside Farm, Hill Farm & Bank Farm, Ditton Priors.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Chris

I am finding Hillside Farm and Bank Farm on the map but I can't locate Hill Farm at the moment nor can I find it listed in my gazetteer.

Hillside Farm is named on the Ordnance Survey maps around 1900 but Bank Farm isn't named until more recent times so I wonder if it has grown over the years.

I had hoped I might find something useful from the Tithe map and Apportionment in the mid 1800's but there doesn't seem to be any such thing for Ditton Priors parish although there is an Enclosure award with maps for 1841 but this is not available on line.

You could try Trade Directories.  There are some on the subscription web sites and some freely available on the Historical Directories of England & Wales web site.

Mike

chris southern

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your reply.

I think Hillside Farm has always been called that. Hill Farm is also known as No 2 Hillside. As you point out Bank Farm was known as No 11 Hillside.

I was hoping to gain access to any tenancy records from The Boyne Estate. The Estate Office says they no longer have the records on site to try Shropshire archives.

Many thanks again for your pointers.

Regards

Chris

Gwynne Chadwick
Hi Chris,

May I suggest you contact the Ditton Priors Local History Group.

Having attended one of their excellent annual exhibitions several years ago, I feel sure they could guide or assist you.

They seem to have an active Facebook page.

Gwynne
chris southern

Hi Gwynne,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have been in contact with them and have visited. Many thanks to Rona Cobb & Fiona Molloy for the help and advice I have received.

Regrds Chris