GRO information on Births, Marriages and Death doesn’t have to be on expensive certificate

5 replies [Last post]
Michael J Hulme

Please see the item posted on the Society of Genealogists web site today, 6 Feb 2015, concerning access to the information in Birth, Marriage and Death entries. Hopefully we are finally heading towards cheaper and easier access.

Mike

John Sands

Dear Mike

I can't find the item to which you refer - perhaps it has "time expired". Can you tell us more about the changes please?

Thanks

John

Michael J Hulme

Hello John

I can only guess that the item has been moved within the Society of Genealogists (SoG) website.

If you go to the SoG home page then click on 'News' at the top you can scroll back through their news items.  You can go directly to the item about GRO Births, Marriages and Deaths (BMDs) using this link.

There has been more news about this story in recent weeks and a small number of events where the GRO have given talks about possible changes.  One very important point to come out of these is the fact that any changes to the way information about BMDs is provided to the public only applies to the GRO - it will NOT change the arrangements with regard to local Superintendent Registrars and the production of information by local register offices.  This is seen as disappointing because the local records are the 'originals' whereas those held by the GRO are only 'copies or duplicates' and like all copies are bound to be subject to some errors.

You can find some up to date information on the Lost Cousins web site. Click on 'Latest newsletter' near the top left. The current issue is dated 26th Dec 2015 - see the second and third items.  Anyone reading this in 2016 onwards should look at the first paragraph below the headings where there are always links to the previous issue, some indexes and some lists of past articles.  Lost Cousins has over 100,000 subscribers (free) to the Newsletter which is published about twice a month and is well worth subscribing to for lots of varied information, not all related to family history.

Mike

John Sands

Thanks Mike

That is very helpful. I shall certainly sign up for the newsletter.

John

michaeltench

Hi Michael,

I have never been a member of SoG but am still a member of Ancestry and Findmypast so is it worthwhile joining SoG.

What exactly is available if you join, how detailed are the records etc. and with reference to this oldish post what information is available on the births , marriages and deaths and what areas, dates etc are covered.

Thanks

Mike

Michael J Hulme

Hello Michael

First of all, my apologies for not replying earlier, I had completely missed your posting.

The Society of Genealogists (SoG) was founded in 1911 and has a large library of information available to members or to day visitors on payment of a fee.  It is a long time since I was a member but you probably need to be able to visit them at their London address to get the best from a membership.

Their web site should give you a good overview of what they have available then you could always go there as a day visitor paying for part of or all of a day to get a better feel for the information that is available.  At the end of the day it is going to be a personal choice based on the research you want to do and the availability of information to help you.

Mike