Hearth Tax Roll - 1672

4 replies [Last post]
Ken Woodgate

Does anyone have access to this tax record?  There was a book published 1949?

Am interested in NICHOLLS and NICCOLLS of Boycott and Newnham of Pontesbury Parish

Ken Woodgate - New Zealand

Heather Duckett

Ken

under Cructon Newnum and Sascott: Thomas Niccolls 4 hearths 8d; Richard Niccolles 3 hearths 6d

under Paupers discharged  in Ford Hundred: Jon Nickles; Will Niccolls

Boycott is not listed in index or in the section relating to Ford Hundred and there are no Niccolls listed under Ford as a place in Ford Hundred

Heather

Ken Woodgate

Thanks Heather,

I have another name - HIGGONS? also in Pontesbury Parish (Manor of Ford) could I ask you to check that if you still have the records.

Feel free to contact me direct - ken.woodgate@xtra.co.nz

Ken

Heather Duckett

Ken, I have looked through the whole of Ford Hundred and found one Higgons

Plailey, Pontesford and Sybur-Scoot - William Higgons 1 hearth

In doing so I found some more Niccolles

Pontesbury - Rowland Niccolls Esq 7 hearths

Plailey, Pontesford and Sybur- Scoot -  Widdow Lees and Niccolles 2 hearths

Carston - Richard Niccolls Rector 2 hearths

Woosly, Winsley, Leeke and Hurst - William Niccolls 3 hearths

Hundertons - Peter Niccolles 1 hearth;  John Niccolles 1 hearth;  Reynold Niccolles 1 hearth

Alberbury - Eliaser Niccolles 1 hearth

Bentall - Richard Niccolles 1 hearth

I hope this helps with your research.

Heather

Ken Woodgate

Thanks Heather,

The Rowland Niccolls/Pontesbury 'fits' with my research and will likely be the Boycott property he recieved from his father, Thomas. 7 hearths suggests a larger building than smaller home of 1 or 2 hearths.

I will take a closer look at the William Higgons - a history notes that a John Niccolls acquired land from a Richard Higgons in Newnham c1730s -

The man I am targetting is a Richard Niccolls who acquired land via marriage to Amy/Anne Dennys by way of marriage in 1670 - you previously noted him at 'Cruckton/Newum/Sarscott - with 3 hearths.  There was also a Thomas Niccolls (with 4 hearths) . The latter seems new to what I had gathered - maybe his father? I have not been able to find a birth of 'my Richard' (probably in the 1640's). Various sources say he was a 'younger son' of Rowland - but that seems unlikely given what I have learnt about Rowland and his children.  So the puzzle continues!

Many thanks for your time on the search

Ken