John Jones "Killed in a fight" 1855

3 replies [Last post]
JohnW

According to a death certificate I have, 48 year old John Jones was "Killed in a fight" on 14th July 1855, at Shelton, Saint Julian, County of Salop. Is anyone able to shed any light on this. I am hoping there may have been a newspaper article. 

Michael J Hulme

Hello John

Doing a search on The British Newspaper Archive using the Advanced Search option to enter John Jones in the Search all words field then specifying Shrewsbury Chronicle as the Publication Title and entering July 1855 in the From and To date fields then pressing Search brought up the following amongst others. NOTE: spelling as original Optical Character Recognition (OCR).

Shrewsbury Chronicle
FATAL PUGILISTIC ENCOUNTER
... , Wal Bishop, John Thomas Edwards, Sioiucl Lant;fi>ril, John Langfor.l, Jackson, and Peece Whitehurst, Esij, The foilowiug evidence was tak. ; dam's Houldsworth, shoemaker, Barker-street, Shrewsbury, said I knew the deceased, John Jones ; 1 have seen ...

Published: Friday 20 July 1855
Newspaper: Shrewsbury Chronicle
County: Shropshire, England
Type: Article | Words: 344 | Page: 6 | Column: 4 (At bottom)

If you can get access to your local Library they may have a subscription to the British Library otherwise you may have to sign up for a trial with the BL in order to see the full report of the incident.

There may well be other references to this incident elsewhere but I haven't found any so far.

There is an index to the Shropshire County Quarter Sessions covering this date but unfortunately it does not help because this incident was in Shrewsbury which had its own set of records.

Mike

PhilPoole

Hello John,

Do you subscribe to Findmypast website? If so you can find the article there by searching the Newspaers section, using similar paramaters suggested by Mike. Ive paste the article below, but may not be easy to read.

Regards

Phil

JohnW

Many thanks Michael and Phil, for your responses and time spent looking this up. I did manage to download the page from the BNA web site. yes