Julia PRICE buried 1861 at Worthen

4 replies [Last post]
PhilPryce668

I have a record of my great-great-grear grandmother, Julia PRICE (or PRYCE) being buried at Worthen in 1861. However, I can't find a record for her husband, Edward; though some evidence suggests he died c.1871

Is there anyone at Worthen who could see if a gravestone exists for Julia, and is Edward buried with her?

I hope to visit Worthen in early October,but any knowledge of what to expect would help greatly!!!

Michael J Hulme

Hello Phil

The gravestones at Worthen were transcribed in the early 1990's but the transcript does not include any mention of Edward or Julia PR(I/Y)CE.

It must be remembered that only a minority of people could afford a gravestone so it is not unusual for a grave to be unmarked.

The burial entry for Julia PRICE states her abode was Brockton and she was aged 57 years.

The 1861 census entry suggests that Edward PR(I/Y)CE was born about 1807/8 but a search in the Civil Registration Deaths around 1871 doesn't seem to show up any obvious entry for your person.

Mike

PhilPoole

Hi Phil,

Like Mike I was unable to find Edward's burial/death between 1861 and 1881. What makes you think he may have died c1871? Based on other records have you considered his surname spelt as PREECE?

Have you found Edward and Julia in the 1851 Census. I found the record on Ancestry but not on Findmypast (FMP). They were living in Bromlow and had two sons Albert and Edwin aged 12 and 10 years. 

Also their 1829 marriage record on FMP is interesting as Julia's forename is asterisked with the name Judith added alongside. Her maiden surname was SWAIN.

Regards

Phil

PhilPryce668

Phil & Mike, Thank you both for your quick responses

The lack of gravestone for Julia Price is pretty much what I expected to be honest; I've had the same problem with other ancestors. Is the transcript of the gravestones available?

I have Julia Price, nee DAVIES, as being born in Worthen in 1804 to Thomas and Catherine Davies. There is a lot of census info on them and their family, and Julia is reported as dying in Oct 1861 (after the census that year). Her son Albert is my great-great grandfather

I haven't managed to find when or where exactly Edward died, and neither can I find their marriage details. i will probably try Ancestory.com again soon. Incidentally, www.melocki.org.uk has been a useful site for the Shropshire branch of my tree.

Cheers

Michael J Hulme

Hello Phil

The transcript of Worthen MIs and all the other MIs covering most of the county which have been transcribed by the SFHS over the last nearly forty years are available in photocopied booklet form and microfiche but not quite all in both formats.

On this web site go to 'Shop' near the top right then select Shropshire FHS Publications Catalogue and then click the link to SFHS_Publications.PDF about half way down your screen.  Have a look at the first three pages where you will find details of where to send your order and then after that the parishes are listed alphabetically with details of what is available for each parish.

Mel Lockie's site provides reliable transcripts of some of the printed parish registers of Shropshire and much other material. Note: there is a difference between the spelling of his name and the spelling of his web address.

Mike