Looking for parents of Richard LEWIS born c1803 Shrewsbury

10 replies [Last post]
e.c.lewis001@gm...

Hi I am trying to trace my family tree of "LEWIS". I can go back to Richard Lewis born 1803 in Shrewsbury (1851 census) married to Elizabeth Troughton, born 1806 in Heswall Cheshire, in 1826.

There are 2 records of Richard Lewis born in 1803 :-

• Richard son of Richard & Elinor born 17th may bap 19th June in the Parish of Alkmund
  • Richard son of Thomas & Harriot(Harriet) born 31st Jan @ St Julians.

Can any fellow researchers help me to prove one or the other or not part of my family?

Cheers Chris Lewis 6952

Martyn Freeth

What was the date of the 1851 Census? I do not have this to hand, but bear in mind that this could affect the age of the Richard baptised in May 1803.

Beyond this one would expect some clues from the names of the children born to the couple who married in 1826. (Where was this, by the way? Not in IGI).

Have you seen the full entries for the two quoted baptisms? Just possible (but for the date unlikely) that fathers' occupations were given.

I might now look in the Burials Index for those fathers - but will lose what I have typed so far if I open up something new. So I may post further.

MarkCDodd

I have their marriage in Richmond St Ann in Liverpool on the 2nd January 1826,  not Cheshire.

Looking at the parish register, both are of that parish and Richard is a tailor.

Richard signed, Elizabeth put her mark.

Witnesses George Spencer and Thomas Holden.

MarkCDodd

The 1861 census gie a birth year of 1809.

1861 census transcription details for:  44, Wood Street South, Toxteth Park, Liverpool
National Archive Reference:
RG number: RG09      Piece: 2698      Folio:  107      Page:  46         
Reg. District: West Derby Sub District: 1 Toxteth Park
Parish: Toxteth Park Enum. District:  
Ecclesiastical District: St James City/Municipal Borough: Liverpool

Address: 44, Wood Street South, Toxteth Park, Liverpool
County: Lancashire
Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth
Year
Occupation ,
Disability
Where Born

LEWIS, Richard Head Married  M 52 1809 Tailor Shrewsbury
Shropshire

LEWIS, Elizabeth Wife Married  F 54 1807   Irby
Cheshire

LEWIS, Henry Son Unmarried  M 18 1843 Clerk To A Cotton Broker Liverpool
Lancashire

LEWIS, Richard Son    M 13 1848 Scholar Liverpool
Lancashire

e.c.lewis001@gm...

Martyn, the date on the 1851 census states abt 1803

The names of the children are william 18, john 14, henry 8, richard 3.info from ancestry library.com

I visted shrewsbury may this year the info on richard son of richard & elinor was records (book 8 page263) no other details. it is possible his father was a tailor as he himself was and married into a faimly of tailors (throughton`s.)

e.c.lewis001@gm...

Hi Mark,thanks for the info most of which I have , I`m intrested in the parish register as it may give richards fathers name.your right they were married in liverpool but elizabeth as born in haswell cheshire.

chris.

Martyn Freeth

Generally it is MOST unlikely that a marriage register, before July 1837, will give names of father's of the parties; and indeed Mark has clearly taken the trouble to set out all relevant detail. Only query therefore is whether the names of the witnesses give any clues.

St Alkmund's burials 1813-1837 per SBI include:

Richard Lewis, Pride Hill, 2.12.1833 aged 60 ( but no Elinor or variant)

Thomas Lewis, Double Butcher Row, 1.4.1829 aged 59 (but no Harriet or variant).

There is of course nothing to say that the couples in that parish in 1803 stayed there.

You might be best to buy the cd for further and future use. See Shop icon; but check in there on the coverage to date to avoid any possible disappointment.

e.c.lewis001@gm...

Hi Mark, sorry i have not been back to you. the reserch you did on the "lewis family" was it that you have some conection with them.

chris

bbffrrpp

Hi Chris,

I received an e-mail during the last few days from a descendant of Richard LEWIS, who is living in Australia.    Last night I was trying to find my old postings about him, and came across this Forum.   Last night I didn't know whether I was a member of this Society or not.    This morning I am now a member so I can now respond to your query.

Last night I didn't recognize  "E.C. Lewis"  but this morning I'm seeing "Chris Lewis" and that sounds familiar.    So, I think we have corresponded in the past.

Reminder:   I am descended from Richard's son, John LEWIS.    John married his next-door neighbor, Isabella BURROWS  (from Skirton)  ~1856.   Their only child was John "Stanley" LEWIS, b1859.   By 1873 "Stanley" was orphaned, and his uncle placed him in the "Liverpool Sheltering Homes."  Stanley was "shipped to Canada" in 1874.      In 1879, he married Mary E. CORKILL, also from the "Home" in Truro, Nova Scotia.    They migrated to MA/US in 1881, and raised  .13. children near Boston.    They were my great-grandparents.

Betty               (near Lowell, MA, USA)

(I realize this discussion was almost 5 yrs. ago.)

bbffrrpp

Hi again,

I just reviewed what our new "distant cousin" said in her e-mail.   She is descended from Henry LEWIS and  Harriett DYER -  with a strong interest in this Harriett.

She reminded me that another possible set of parents for Richard were Thomas LEWIS and Ann DAVIS.   Someone told me years ago that the other couple were a better guess.

She is "Yvonne" in Brisbane, Australia.

Betty        (near Lowell, MA, USA)

FYI:   John "Stanley" LEWIS, b1859 Liverpool, had 13 children, and they were raised in Stoneham, MA, from ~1881 until he passed in 1923.   His wife, Mary (CORKILL), b1860 Liverpool, passed in 1924.   I am descended from one of the youngest, Silas Dean LEWIS, my grandfather.

SFHS WebMaster

Hi Betty, just to clarify, when you create a UserID on our web-site you aren't becoming a member of the Society (that costs £10/year) but you are becoming a registered user of the web-site, allowing you to post questions and answers to the Forum - HTH.

Also, because of the dormancy of that particular Forum posting I have emailed Chris to let them know you have posted something.

Regards
Graham
WebMaster