Marriage of Joseph Steel and Margaret Lee or Lees 10th August 1813

4 replies [Last post]
GeorgeAC

Hello All, I`m new to the Shropshire forum having just found out that an ancestor, or I believe an ancestor of my wife may have married here in 1813, the details above. We live in the High Peak. The family I`m interested in had children in Over Peover, Cheshire 1814 to 1830 when I think Joseph has died. I don`t know why the couple married in Shropshire, maybe one or both come from there. Doe`s anyone have access to the church records for Willington and would be willing to do a look up for me please? The details are Joseph Steel to Margaret Lee or Lees 10th August 1813 at Wellington Shropshire. I don`t think I can access shropshire records at our library which in any case is still shut till I don`t know when. I joined Ancestry this morning thinking they had the record, but all they have is what I`ve got off the L.D.S. site and put above. I`ve been researching for over 20 years, but just made this breakthough this morning the internet is magic. When I first started it was all fiche, microfilm and if you were lucky original records. All slow but good, now it`s magic.

Thank you for any help. George Carter in Whaley Bridge

Michael J Hulme

Hello George

The Shropshire Parish Registers up to 1900 are on the Find my Past web.  When your local library reopens, and several are now, ask them is they have a subscription to FmP.

Your couple did marry by Banns at Wellington, Shropshire.  The original register entry says they were both of that parish.  He signed and she made her mark.

Mike

GeorgeAC

Hello Mike,

Thanks for this. Maybe they were both from Shropshire. I`ve since i posted the query, found out that Joseph died in Over Peover Cheshire in 1830, Margaret remarried in 1843. I found her in the census in 1851 and she says she was born in Newport Shropshire. So she is definately local to there.

There are a lot of Leigh,Lee Lees and Lea names around the part of Cheshire they were early 19th century and I`d given up on ever sorting them out years ago, but with whats on the internet these days it is getting easier. I acutally had their first born with different parents until I found death the other day, to break that branch off the tree. That`s one of the things, the L.D.S. didn`t used to use the deaths. Nowerdays they are publishing the whole registers.

Things have come a long way for the better with family history. Mind you, so have I. I was a young man when I started. Now I`m old and grey, but still keen to learn while I can.

Our local library doe`s have a Findmypast subscription. But they are what the council call on the third phase of opening. Yet to be decided. I think the 2nd phase is the 1st August.

Thank you for the look up Mike. I do appreciate it.

George

Michael J Hulme

Hello George

When you can look at FmP it appears that Margaret LEES was baptised at Newport 18th April 1790.

Mike

GeorgeAC

Thanks for that Mike. When I get into it. I`ll probably have a new family there. Joseph might be a problem. He died 1830 aged 63 according to the burial register. There are a lot of Steel`s about there where they were living in Cheshire. But a lot of Leigh Lea Lee and Lees about too. It`s a proper surprise to find her from Salop. I`ve got a bag full of these Leigh etc that I`ve been collecting over the decades hoping to connect. That`s family history for you though. If was easy it wouldn`t be as much fun.

I`ve now got Margaret in the census to 1861 and she dis in 1865.

Thanks again for your help. it has been appreciated. Knowing is better than wondering.

George