Middleton Anglican baptism - which church 1884?

3 replies [Last post]
louisec

Hi, trying to trace my ancestors, CROSS - hit a block with Edward born Middleton Cherbury  (SAL) what does SAL mean? i found  a baptism record but no parents at all on it under father listed blank, what does that mean, was he an orphan or  a bastard? Is there any way to find out? Any info greatly appreciated on any CROSS's from that area who may have been his parents!

Michael J Hulme

Hello Louise

I presume the baptism record you have found was a transcript.  The abbreviation (SAL) is short for Salop which is an older name for the County of Shropshire.  This abbreviation was commonly used in the days when computers had very small memory and was one of a whole set of abbreviations for every county known as 'The Chapman County Codes' after the name of the person who devised them.  The abbreviation is not used so much now that computers have large memories.

The original Shropshire Parish Registers of Baptism, Marriage and Burials can be seen on the Find my Past (Subscription) web site.  Click 'Search', 'A-Z of record sets', then enter Shropshire in the search box near the top to see a list of available records.

You don't tell us the date of baptism that you have found but the only similar entry I can see is for William Edward CROSS born 6th Dec 1884 and baptised 10th Dec 1884 the son of Mary Anne CROSS of Black Marsh, single woman.

Black Marsh is about 1 1/2 miles ENE of Middleton and about 4 miles ENE of Chirbury.  Use this link to view it on Google maps

Mike

PhilPoole

Hi Louise,
In addition to Mike’s comments and based on the same assumption of when William Edward was born, you should be able to find William Edward in the 1891 and 1901 Census living in Black Marsh, with his Uncle, John CROSS born c1868. If you subscribe to the Ancestry website you can find several family trees containing the CROSS family. In particular the “Jacques-Cross Family” tree is useful as it goes back several generations from William Edward to the late 1700’s. It also gives information on Mary Anne’s marriage after William Edward’s birth, and also names the father of William Edward.
Regards
Phil Poole

Michael J Hulme

Hello Louise

You will note from Phil's reply that someone has a family tree naming the father of William Edward but as that information was not given in his baptism record you need to ask yourself where it has come from and how reliable that information is.  There are of course several possibilities.  Did his mother marry his father after his birth?  Did he give his father's name at the time he married and if he did was it actually his father or someone who helped to bring him up?  If he was living with his uncle when the census was taken did he think of his uncle as his father?

Lots of questions but no answers I am sorry.

Mike