Mr PRICE/PRYCE, Red Bank House, Market Drayton and the household in the 1930s

9 replies [Last post]
RBeswick

I am seeking any information whatsoever on a Mr PRICE of Red Bank House on Red Bank Road in Market Drayton, who lived there during the 1930s.
His full name is particularly what I am after. The spelling of his surname I am unsure of, as I have only ever heard of him anecdotally, never written.
My association with him is that my Grandmother's aunt, Ada ERWIN, was his housekeeper at this time. I have a glorious old photo album choc full of photographs of happy times with Mr Price and his family/friends at Red Bank House, as well as some lovely photographs of Market Drayton. There are a great many photographs of people with cats and kittens, adults and children alike.
The name "Cyril" is mentioned on the back of a photo of a smart young lad in his cricket whites. Also, the album is dedicated to Ada, from a good friend, Dora. Do these names ring any bells?
We know so little about the content of the photographs, as Ms Erwin, Mr Price's housekeeper, was a spinster and had very little family.
My Grandmother moved to Australia in the 1960s, so I have always lived in Oz, but I will be in the UK at the end of this May on a grand family history tour, visiting archives and places of genealogical relevance. Any information would be most appreciated, and I am happy to share some of the lovely old photographs too!

(note from WebMaster - The Subject title has been trimmed a bit)

deePeye

Hello R Beswick,

Have no connection with Price/Pryce family, or access to old directories.  But if you are planning to visit the pleasant market town of Market Drayton,  I have two suggestions: the local museum and resource centre at 53 Shropshire Street in the centre, is likely to be useful and has helpful volunteers with a range of resources (see: http://www.discovershropshire.org.uk/html/search/verb/GetRecord/homepage:20060807122254 );  if you "Google Earth" "Sunnyside, Market Drayton, Shropshire TF9" then jump into "Streetview", you will see a white-painted property consistent with the period on the corner of Red Bank Road/Sunnyside, which I believe may be the former Red Bank House.  The area is now much changed (now surrounded by modern houses), from the 1900 Ordnance Survey map I have showing its location.

Hope this is of interest.

David

Drayton Crier

HI,

I am the admin of the Drayton Crier Facebook page which has now become the local forum page covering the town of Market Drayton and surrounding areas. I have around 4600 users on the site now 95% of which reside in the town or local area so it is a great way to find out local information. I also run a number of other pages including Drayton memories which has many many old photos of Market Drayton from the later 1800 onwards. 
I only live around 300 yds from Red bank house!  but cant help you with the information as such but will certainly see if I can get our local museum to help. I see you have some old photos of Market Drayton. Would it be at all possible for me to take a high res photo of them and post them on my Drayton Memories page please. I will also put a request out on the Drayton Crier for the information you are requesting re Red bank house . Hopefully someone one the Crier will be able to assist you. Looking forward to  your feedback

Kind Regards Mike Smith admin Drayton Crier.

RBeswick

Thanks very much David, I will pop into the museum, whilst I'm in Market-Drayton.

I have found the property via Google Earth street view (it is wonderful for family history detective work, when you live abroad), and it is certainly the house in my photographs.  Good detective work there yourself David ;)

Regards,

Radhika

RBeswick

Hi Mike,

That's great to hear! I will friend on FB, and send you some of the pictures. I hope I can find out more - Mr Price and those at Red Bank House were, in many ways, her only family, and she had good times in Market Drayton.

Regards,

Radhika B

Michael J Hulme

Hello Radhika

My Kelly's Directory of Shropshire 1941, under Private Residents lists:-

PRICE Saml. Bennett, Red Bank Ho., Little Drayton, Market Drayton.

Mike

RBeswick

Mike - you totally rock!  I'm going to investigate your findings further - will let you know.

Thanks! Radhika Beswick

RBeswick

YES! It's the right one.

Thank you so much Mike!

Mr Price was a Mr Samuel Bennett Price born 1866 in Birkenhead, Cheshire and died 1947 at Common Edge Institution in Market Drayton (same year and place as Ada).  He never married and was a musician.  He had done some work for shippping companies over the years.

(...I found all this out via census information on "Ancestry")

I simply cannot thank you enough! My Grandmother will be delighted to hear what I've found.  Another mystery solved - of course, I still have plenty more to unravel, but this is simply wonderful!

Gratefully yours,

Radhika Beswick

Drayton Crier

HI Radhika
Good news having sent the request out to some 4600 local users of the Drayton Crier page, I have had a great deal of success. The local library whizzed into action and came up with some info and more was coming in last time I looked. The info so far is contained below hope its of use. If I could possibly  have copies of some of the old photos (digital format) that would be superb. I will load them onto the Drayton Memories Facebook page. If you would like to join us on our local forum please search for Drayton Crier. and I will make you a friend so that you can post.  The info collected so far by friends on the crier page :-

I've looked through the records at Market Drayton Library. Can you please let your friend know that the name of Mr Price is Mr Samuel Bennett Price. He is listed at that address in the Kelly's Directory in 1934 and 1941. Your friend can contact the library directly via email marketdrayton.library@shropshire.gov.uk if needed. Thanks.

Samuel Bennett Price,Died 5 February 1947 at Common Edge Institution Market Drayton. Probate London 1 July to Claude Leopold McDonnell retired photographer effects £2335.14s.9d

Bit more info,, Ada Margeruite Erwin of Red Bank House , Market Drayton , Shropshire, Spinster died 16 February 1947 at Common Edge Institution. Probate London 15 August 1947 to Claude Leopold McDonnell retired photographer and Emily Williams Spinster , Effects £ 3105.3s.1d

• * Emily Maude Williams *

•  
     And 'Common Edge Institution' was not its proper title - it was Quarry House ! My mother was Matron and I was born there two years later.

Hope this is useful.
Cheers Mike Smith admin Drayton Crier Facebook 

TomHeath

Hi All. I know this is an old thread, however we are currently in the process of buying Red Bank House in Market Drayton. We would really love to see any old photos of the house, or any more history anyone has. We are going to be undertaking a massive renovation project on the house to turn it into the beautiful family home it deserves to be. We’ve managed to find a little bit of history already, but would love to try to collate a complete history of the house! Thanks all!