POSTON where did he come from before Whitchurch 1776?

No replies
borzoiholly

I am trying to find out who Charles Poston's (abt 1754-1832) parents were and where he was born.  He married Ann Green of Whitchurch, Salop. 1776.  He was a shoemaker and had a shop on High Street listed in Pigots 1822 directory. It is possible that Charles senior apprenticed with Ann's father and Mr. Green owned both a shoe shop and a butcher shop. After Ann's death in 1805 he remarried in 1809 to Mary Yardley of Whitchurch.  He had 11 children from Ann and 6 from Mary.  He died at a residence in  Watergate Street.  His son Charles (junior) ,from Ann, emigrated to Quebec, Canada sometime before 1820 and his 3 half brothers Edward, Thomas and William (all sons of Mary) joined him in Quebec later.  All were merchants.

From the Whitchurch records, it appears that John POSTON (Charles senior's youngest son) was all that was left of this POSTON family in Whitchurch and then there were no more after the 1841 census.

There is a connection with an Ann POSTON Glover wife of James GLOVER of Liverpool married 1809.  I don't know if this Ann Poston is a daughter or niece of Charles POSTON senior.  Charles junior had Ann and James Glover as godparents to several of his children and even named a son James Glover POSTON.

Oh, just an oddity, but my POSTON family has always pronounced Poston with a soft o as Boston, not with a long o as in fence post.

I live in the USA.  I notice on the member interests list that member 3706 has interests in the Postons.  I would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas.