Richard MADDOX 1816-1892 - is there a photograph or portrait of him?

6 replies [Last post]
Ian

Richard MADDOX was the senior partner in the large drapers store in High Street / Pride Hill, Shrewsbury. He was also a J.P.  He lived at Besford House, Trinity Street.

There are several pictures of the store but is there a photograph or portrait of him? I have tried the Archives online and the booklet written by Dorothy Davies in 1963 to mark the 100th Anniversary of the business. 

He had no children so trying to trace any family members to enquire is very difficult. For example, after Richard's and his wife Jane's deaths in 1892 their niece Zilpha SCOTT (nee MANSELL) took over Besford House with her husband Walter James SCOTT. Their son Frederick Walter SCOTT resided at 'Rockmount', Church Stretton in 1939 with his wife Margaret Faustina [?] and son Eric Walter Marbury.

Ian

Greenaway

It was interesting to read about your post concerning Richard MADDOX. Walter James SCOTT was my great grandfather, Frederick Walter SCOTT was my grandfather and my father was Eric MARBURY. His mother was American, Margaret Faustina LUHN. She was born in Charleston, South Carolina. Her father had been a German immigrant. In the early 1900s Frederick spent 6 months in the States (supposedly his parents wanted him to forget some girl he had met) and he married Margaret in June 1902. Afterwards they lived in Shropshire. My father was born on April 26th 1903. Walter James had 4 children (Frederick Walter, Sydney Richard (who became a famous surgeon and was one of the founders of  St Bartholomews Hospital), Percy Eliot and Ethel. I only occasionally try to trace some of my family tree so spend many hours trying to find things out and then go for several months without doing anything. I am not sure whether Frederick Walter's offspring would have any picture of Richard. Sorry to say I don't but I will bear this in mind as my research continues.I suppose you have checked the archives of The Shropshire Chronicle when he died in 1892?.

Ian

How wonderful to have contact with a relation of the Scott family. I spent several months researching the history of Besford House in Shrewsbury  where your ancestors lived and who made considerable alterations that can still be seen (I live in a new house built in the grounds) .

I had uncovered the link with Germany / USA as Margaret went to visit her sister in Washington in 1925 and the details are on the passenger immigration list on 'Find my Past' - including a detailed physical description. I had worked out a family tree 'of sorts' to your father. I am pleased to find that my research is confirmed by your information.

The local Shrewsbury paper has a written obituary for Richard Maddox but that is all, unfortunately.

I have written a short illustrated book about Besford House and it includes several mentions of your ancestors. If you would like a copy I would be delighted to send one to you (it is a not for sale booklet).

I can give you my family history email address to contact me if you wish?

I do not know if you live near Shrewsbury. I am giving a talk based on my booklet at the SFHS meeting on February 20.

Ian

Greenaway

Thanks for the information

Ian

Richard Maddox (1816-1892) was a ward councillor in Shrewsbury, a liberal and a non-conformist and a member of the New Congregational Church in Abbey Foregate. In the 1880s he was a J.P. and a General Director of the Shropshire and North Wales Fire Office in Shrewsbury. I wonder if he is shown in any group photographs?There do not seem to be any pictures of him associated with Maddox & Co.

I have had no success so far with the local Archives, Museum, Library or a surviving relative unfortunately.

MaryB

I am also a descendant of Walter and Zilpha Scott, who were my maternal great-grandparents.  His son, Percy Eliot Scott (mentioned above) was my grandfather, although I never met him (he died when I was 3 and was also separated from his wife and children, although his wife encouraged the children to keep in touch with him).

Ian if you still have a copy of your booklet on Besford House, I would be very interested to see it.

My connection with the Scotts is 2-fold. Walter’s father (George Benjamin) married twice. Walter was the result of the first marriage. GB’s youngest son was a result of his second marriage – he was also called George Benjamin and he is my great-grandfather too, as his daughter Mina Violet married her half-cousin Percy Eliot. Complicated!  The reason I am telling you this is because my grandmother Mina Violet and her sister Daisy often lived with Walter and Zilpha at Besford House with their mother Mina Clara, as George Benjamin junior had disappeared off to South Africa, never to be seen again.

As for Greenaway, how wonderful to be in touch. I am guessing you are a 2nd cousin. I know that Percy Eliot visited your grand-father for a while whilst he was in Carolina – again I was told Walter and Zilpha “didn’t know what to do with him” after he had a motorbike accident – obviously their solution was to send their sons off abroad!

As for Zilpha’s uncle Richard Maddox, which was the original query, I can’t find any images of him either – surprising in a way as he was well known in the community, but possibly a sign of the times.

Ian

Apologies for the very late reply.

I have a copy of the book left which you would be welcome to.

Do you live local to Shrewsbury? If not we can work out a way to get it to you.