Wife of Daniel EVANS 1856?

4 replies [Last post]
colinH

Hi,

Just found the new site, a surprise !

I am looking for the maiden name of the wife of Daniel Evans who it appears married in Jan. Qtr. of 1856 in Wellington.

A*********y show his marriage but ' on same page' list contains only his name.

He appears on 1861 with wife Elizabeth and two children in Shifnal and subsequent census locally.

Elizabeth was b.  c. 1836 in Burlington ( Nr Shifnal ) Ref. 1871 census Tong.

Any help with her maiden name etc would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Colin

technobrit (not verified)

Hello, Colin,
If you check the FreeBMD site -- http://www.freebmd.org.uk
you will see that he is effectively "alone" on his page.  As you can see by clicking "more information", you can "seek other spouse", and learn why info is missing (page error, transcribed info not yet completed etc.).
In effect, if you read his entry data, you will also see that there is a suspected error in the entry: "The expected page range for this district is 1023 to 1050"
If you look at the scanned image, you will be able to work out that the likely VOL/PAGE info looks like, "6a, 1048" (due to faded ink) (I have reported this to FreeBMD, it will be checked, but not immediately) (I am not necessarily right !)
If you further check FreeBMD for "Marriages, Wellington, 1Q1856", entering simply his "potential" Volume and Page info ("6a, 1048"), you will find only one entry, namely for an Ann Evans.
This might therefore mean that he married Ann EVANS.
(this is not gospel, there may be other entries for this page, that are not yet transcribed...).
The only way to be sure, is to purchase the marriage certificate for Ann Evans, and see what her husband’s name was. This will cost you about 8 quid; instructions avl on FreeBMD, "what to do now".
When completing that application, avoid quoting her husband’s name (because if it is not right, GRO will not only NOT issue a certificate, but will still charge you !).
=================
Alternatively, interpreting the scanned FreeBMD image as "1043" and not "1048" (v. unlikely in my opinion, but "one never nose...") means that you can search page 1043 and effectively find an  "Elizabeth Heath"...  However, that page is already "complete" with 2 couples...

Hope this helps !
==============
NOTE:  By further checking FreeBMD, you will find THREE possible deaths for an Ann Evans, between 1856, and the 1861 Census.  No way of knowing (from FreeBMD...) whether they are significant to Daniel Evans: you would again need to get the death certificates to see if any were his spouse...

Note also that a search on Free BMD for the period between 1Q1856 and 2Q1861 (time of Census) shows no marriage in "Wellington" for a "Daniel Evans" and an "Eizabeth".  Again, this is perhaps no criterion (information perhaps not transcribed, or possible marriage out of area etc.). Furthermore, extending this search to all of Shropshire for a likely match, also returns NONE (as yet...).

I do not have access to 1861 Census.  You may also perhaps have to consider the possibility of a common union ?

Good luck with the rest of you searches.

tb
=======

MarkCDodd

Groom's Name:     Daniel Evans
Groom's Birth Date:     1830
Groom's Birthplace:     
Groom's Age:     26
Bride's Name:     Anne Evans
Bride's Birth Date:     1833
Bride's Birthplace:     
Bride's Age:     23
Marriage Date:     31 Mar 1856
Marriage Place:     Wrockwardine-Wood, Shropshire, England
Groom's Father's Name:     John Evans
Groom's Mother's Name:     
Bride's Father's Name:     Rich. Evans
Bride's Mother's Name:     
Groom's Race:     
Groom's Marital Status:     
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:     
Bride's Race:     
Bride's Marital Status:     
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:     
Indexing Project (Batch) Number:     I02541-0
System Origin:     England-EASy
Source Film Number:     1657607
Reference Number:     item 15 p 40

technobrit (not verified)

Well done !

I was just off to say, "checked IGI"... but now won't bother (-:

tb

colinH

Hi ,

Thanks both for your input.

Technobrit - Will have to read & digest your post later.

Mark - Unforturnately there are two Daniels.

Dan and Ann are are at Wombridge 1861 ( I think this is the one you quote ).

While Dan and Elizabeth are at Shifnal in 1861 ( It is this this Elizabeth I'm having trouble with )

Dan & Liz marriage 1856 I think & Dan & Ann 1855 I think

Nothings simple is it ?

regards

Colin