William & Ann JAMES of Pickstock in the early 1700s

4 replies [Last post]
ejames88

My ancestor Humphrey JAMES (b1717) was one of four children born to William and Ann JAMES in Pickstock.  Looking for help locating William's birth, death, marriage info.

Ernie

Michael J Hulme

Hello Ernie

Presumably you have discovered that Pickstock is a township in the parish of Chetwynd and partly also a detached portion of Edgmond parish, later Sambrook parish.  (See 'The Parishes and Townships of Shropshire' available from Shropshire FHS - visit Shop on this web site)

If you search the Shropshire parish registers on the Find my Past web site (fee payable) (enter Shropshire in the search box to see what is available) you will a find a marriage between William JAMES and Ann DAVIS at Highley in 1716 which fits with the date of birth of their son Humphrey JAMES in 1717 but that baptism was at Edgmond which is an awful long way from Highley (about 24 miles as the crow flies) so I would be reluctant to think this is the correct marriage unless you can find some evidence to show that the family had a reason to move from south Shropshire to north Shropshire.

Chetwynd and Edgmond are both close to Staffordshire so perhaps you should also look there for possible entries for your family.  The Staffordshire records are also available on FmP.

Mike

ejames88

Thanks for your research.  Yes, I have spent 80 hours on FindMyPast; and every search I go to both Staffordshire and Shropshire parishes records due to the location.

William JAMES' son Humphrey is buried across the border at High Offley and indeed the family tree is entirely in Staffordshire from that point on.  I put William JAMES m Ann DAVIS in my family tree as a place holder but also doubt it is valid because of the distance.

Is there a way to access Shropshire Wills online?  The Staffordshire wills of Humphrey JAMES and the wills of his son and grandson have been very helpful in closing the links to modern day records.

ejames88

Also, I found a Humphrey JAMES b 28 JUN 1660 in Adbaston, d 22 Jun 1731 in Pickstock so it is logical that he is the father of William, grandfather of Humprey.  However, there is no record of he and his wife having any children.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Ernie

Shropshire Wills prior to 1858 are divided between two repositories.  Those for south Shropshire will be found at Hereford Archives whilst those for north Shropshire will be found at Staffordshire Archives together with the Staffordshire Wills.  They are now available online through Find my Past

Mike