William Joseph BENYON 1786.

9 replies [Last post]
Albert

My name is Albert, I am an eighty seven year old Brit, have lived in NZ. for the last fifty years. William was my Gt.Gt.Gt Grandfather. His eldest child Harriet Eleanor was my Gt.Gt. Grandmother. When she died 1912 my father was nine years old. She, her daughter, granddaughter and children lived close by each other in St. Olaves (Bermondsey) Southwark, London. I wish to find out which Jane JONES he married, it was a fact that she was two years older than him. Also what happened between 1809 and 1825 when they had their first child?. Below is the Ancestry layout, followed by the one I have found.

William Joseph BENYON born 1786 Baschurch, Shropshire. died 1862 Wolverhampton  Staffordshire as William Joseph BINYON. Married 16-8-1809 Jane Jones born 1789 Measbury Shropshire. at Shrewsbury, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA. Children: Harriet E. 1825, Jane 1826, Ann 1829, Elizabeth 1832.

My effort: William Joseph BENYON born 1786 Baschurch, died 1862 Ellesmire (Baschurch). Married 16-8-1809 at St. Julian's Shrewsbury, Jane JONES born 1784 ??? died 1872 Ellesmire. Children: Harriet E. 1825, Jane 1826, Ann 1829, Elizabeth 1832. Hope someone can help!       

angela35

There are other trees further down that are related to you, and the place is correctly listed as; SHROPSHIRE, ENGLAND

It's a well known fact that on Ancestry people who attach themselves onto someone else's tree aren't checking the correct places before clicking. Although the family details are correct names, the place is incorrect ! Email those other people to see what they might have in the way of other information.

Hope that this helps

Angela

Albert

Thanks Angela, 

Most of the other trees are my relatives. Swapping photos, information etc. correct or otherwise is a common factor! I depend on IGI, LDS, parish and church registers etc.

On IGI it is '16-8-1809 St. Julian's, Shrewsbury, Wm. BENNION married Jane JONES'. I know all  William's ancestors but can't find a thing about Jane. Each time I find a St. Julian register I can't open it ?

Regards Albert                      

Michael J Hulme

Hello Albert

You shouldn't be able to find a copy of the St Julian's, Shrewsbury register on the Internet because it was never printed although it was transcribed but the only copy of that transcript is at Shropshire Archives. Having said that, the transcript will almost certainly be included in the Family Search web site.

Mike

Albert

Thanks Mike

You are correct , the only copies of the St. Julian's Shrewsbury registers are at Shropshire Archives. They have the original pages on microfiche and three transcripts covering B D M. are available! I had no luck with Family Search, logging on Records only brought up LDS churches etc. Will have to try some other tack!.

Regards Albert.

Albert

Hi Mike,

I found the Shropshire genealogies, transcripts and pedigrees on the Family Search site. They are on microfilm at the Family History Library  (FHL) not available on line. There was no St. Julian transcripts listed!. Joseph Morris seems to be the author of most the works. The only St. Julian transcripts seem be at Shropshire Archives.

Regards Albert.   

Albert

All I have been able to find about our William is his marriage, on an IGI site using Archer Software! His death on FreeBMD and zilch on any thing else!. His place and date of birth are taken from the 1841 census, which is not accurate, the ages are all rounded off. The 1861 is much better, it lists a 14 year old granddaughter born in London. Gives the correct ages of the family and if one can read it the birthplaces.

The Census form is headed Baschurch/ Yeaton, all else along the top is crossed out. There is no street address or numbers, only four cottages and a farm house. In the fourth cottage is.

William BENYON - Head - mar.- 72 - Ag Lab - Salop Baschurch.

Jane         "           Wife -   "    - 74 - Hse Wife-   "    unreadable?.

Jane              Grandau. - Un. - 14 -   ?             Middlesex London.

In the Farm House is.

John LEE - Head - Un - 50 -  Farmer of 183 acres - 1 labourer - 3 tenants? - Salop Ellesmere.

Have not been able to get any thing on William or Jane under their correct birth dates 1789 and 1787  Have been able to track down the young Jane's Mum Ann, she lived to be ninety four! Could anyone tell the address of the farm by the above info?

Regards Albert.      

Michael J Hulme

Hello Albert

The 1861 census entry at RG9 piece 1885 folio 71 page 15 shows the place of birth for wife Jane as Salop Worthen.

Unfortunately the census enumerator has been less than helpful with the way he has written the details of the place of residence.  All that you can be certain of is the cottage was within the Township of Yeaton, a short distance south of Baschurch.  In those days farms and cottages didn't have to be named to locate them, everyone knew who lived where but that isn't much help to us a hundred and fifty years later.

Mike

Albert

Hello Mike 

You were correct about Worthen (Worthing), could find nothing of Jane JONES baptism in Parish regs. or IGI Years 1786, 87 or 88.

Better luck with William he was bap. 15-11-1789 at Baschurch. He and Jane had five more children than the four I originally posted! Three of them had different birth dates than in that first post. First post in brackets, Harriet 3-5-1816 (25), Jane 9-12-1822 (26) Ann 2-11-1828 (29). William and Jane had two sons and seven daughters. Who are all on two batch files? How come the very costly commercial companies did not find them ?. 

Regards Albert.

Albert

Made a blue!

Meant Batch numbers,  CO33901 and CO33902. Very informative but hard to get into?

Regards Albert.