Mass grave of KSLI soldiers buried in South Africa (Boer War, Nov 1900)

No replies
JohnW

I have photos of the mass grave of 6 KSLI soldiers who died and were buried in South Africa during the Boer war (6th November 1900). One of them is my ancestor but the photos may be of interest to the descendants of the other 5 soldiers. I have included some photos plus a report of the action in which they died. To help members searching these forums by name, they are:

Col Segt H Scouse

Pvte C Spencer (6185)

Pvte C Elcocks (4728)

Pvte J Broderick (1539)

Pvte G Watkins (5626)

Pvte Moran (1268)

In August 1900 Lord Roberts moved a great part of his army along the Delagoa Railway in preparation for his final advance to Koomati Poort. The Shropshire Light Infantry were taken to Belfast, and had some fighting in that neighbourhood on several occasions in the latter part of August.

On 6th September the battalion joined General French at Carolina, and under that general marched to Barberton, where they were stationed for three weeks. In October the battalion came back to Belfast, and were again put under Smith-Dorrien, who on 1st November started out with two small columns to attack the enemy at Witkloof. On account of a very severe night, with a temperature close on freezing and torrents of rain which numbed the men and horses, the general decided to retire without attacking, and during the retirement had to fight a steady rear-guard action. On the 6th he again essayed the same task and had severe fighting, the casualties being 6 killed and 20 wounded, "mostly of the Shropshire Light Infantry, whose conduct was much praised". On the following day the fighting was still heavier, the enemy being strongly reinforced. On this occasion the Royal Canadian Dragoons and Canadian Artillery did splendid work. The dragoons gaining three Victoria Crosses.

In Lord Roberts' final despatch 12 officers and 18 non-commissioned officers and men of the battalion were mentioned.