Newcastle, Shropshire 1899 Census

2 replies [Last post]
PhilPoole

A distant relative who lives in Canada and with whom I am in very occasional email contact has told me of a "census" that was conducted in 1899 in the village of Newcastle (near Clun). He came upon it on a Latter Day Saints microfilm some years ago. Does anyone have any information on this? I couldn't find anything obvious on the Shropshire Archives online catalogue.

Thanks

Phil Poole

Michael J Hulme

Hello Phil

I'm not quite sure why there might have been a parish census in 1899 unless it was something to do with the Boer War.  I have heard of these ad hoc census and similar things being written in the parish register or at least on a piece of paper that has been tucked into the parish register, possibly inside the front or rear cover.

I have had a look at the Newcastle on Clun Baptism and Burial register for 1899 & 1900 on Find my Past but there is no sign of any census but that is not to say that it isn't further through the book beyond the 1900 cut off of material on the Internet.

Try emailing Shropshire Archives to see if they can tell you anything about this.

Mike

PhilPoole

Thanks Mike. I'll try the Archives and let you know if I get any info.

Regards

Phil