Agnes M HIGGINS, born 1903.. Went missing 1941

4 replies [Last post]
cockberryhall

Hope someone can help me........my uncle Frank ECCLESTON married Agnes Martha HIGGINS born 1903 who came from Moreton Corbet....her parents were Thomas and Eliza and in 1911 she had 7 brothers and sisters.....they lived at 2 Moat House Cottages.....

In 1931 she married my uncle at Wem.......they had 3 boys..................

When the youngest was about 8 months old in 1941 she disappeared......... my cousin said that as far as he knows no one knew were she went to, it was war time and the was more important things to worry about..........my father who was very close to his eldest brother never knew what happen to her either.........his brother told him he went home and she was missing and the boys were on there own ......until the day he died my father  worried about what happen to her ....

Cannot trace her under ECCLESTON or HIGGINS .........

Hope someone can tell me what happen to her........

Michael J Hulme

Hello

Have you tried trawling through the local newspapers for 1941 to see if there is any mention of her disappearance reported there?

There are some newspapers on Find my Past but nothing is coming up in their index at present so it looks like a trip to Shrewsbury to look through the weekly newspapers in Shropshire Archives.

Mike

Peter John

You may already have covered this in your research but...........are you aware that, whilst there is only 1 registered birth for an Agnes Martha HIGGINS (in 1902 in Wem), there are 2 registered marriages in Wem for Agnes M HIGGINS?

The first is to a William DOWNES in 1925 and the second is to a Frank ECCLESTON in 1931.

Regarding the former, there are several family trees in Ancestry that incorporate Agnes Martha HIGGINS/DOWNES (died April 1978) by reference to the Moreton Corbet 1911 census return.

Peter John

Sorry - I meant to also mention in my reply above:

However, there is a birth registered in 1913 in Wem for an Agnes M HIGGINS (mother's maiden name also HIGGINS) - might it be she (and not the aforementioned [1902] Agnes Martha) that your uncle married in 1931?

cockberryhall

Thank you for looking and giving me ideas. I think Peter you are more likely right and it's the one born in 1913, that would have made her 18yrs and my uncle 22yrs, hopefully I might have some lucky finding her now.

My cousins, who both were living with my grand parents with my father when Agnes went missing, said that my Uncle just turned up, said she had gone and left the youngest of his 3 children with his mother to be looked after. They cannot remember anyone looking for her, etc, it seems to have been just kept in the family. All the family live on or around the moss and the nearest village was a 3 mile walk away across fields. One of my cousins said that my uncle was very shocked about it all.

I will order their marriage cert to see which one it is. My mother did not know anything about it either and her family lived in the nearest village. A friend of my mothers is still alive and living in the village and him and his family did not know either.

Thanks for the help...........Debi