Cheshire Street, Market Drayton lodgings 1866

1 reply [Last post]
Carolyn

My Great Great Great Grandmother, Elizabeth GRANT, born in Leicester, gave birth to an illegitimate child Robert Smith Grant in Cheshire Street, Market Drayton on 6th November 1866. The child was baptised by the local vicar in December. Does anyone have any ideas about exactly where she could have given birth? Are there any likely premises that would have provided accommodation for her? If so, who owned them? She was allegedly a servant in a large house in Shropshire, and her mother Judith WOOD lived in Bridgnorth (Hampton Loade) a few years before, married to a railway labourer. But no trace of Elizabeth has yet been found in Shropshire. Help please?

Carolyn.roberts@earth.ox.ac.uk

Michael J Hulme

Hello Carolyn

My source of local information in Market Drayton has no knowledge of any specific house in Cheshire Street where unmarried mothers went to have their babies so it is probably almost impossible to determine the actual property unless you chance on some written information somewhere.

I notice a slight difference between the names of your great grandfather in this present thread and the earlier one you posted on 4 Feb 2013.  What was your great grandfather's name on his birth certificate and what name is shown in the baptism register?

If his second forename from birth has been Smith then I think most researchers would assume that was the surname of his father even if the father's name does not appear on the birth certificate or in the baptism register.

Mike