Edward THOMAS 1881 Pontesbury - Looking for Biological Father

1 reply [Last post]
redlightandbell

Mary Ann Thomas (b22 Oct 1858) appears in the 1881 Census as living on Pontesbury Hill, with her Grandmother (Mary Thomas) and her son Edward Thomas, 3 weeks old (so birth probably March 1881).

I think the child is probably Edward Thomas  (Atcham 6a 687), and this birth certificate has been ordered.

If the birth certificate doesn't have the fathers name, then, if the baby was baptised, there is a vague possibility that the Vicar *might* have written the father's name into the Register of Baptisms.

Does anybody have a copy of the Parish Registers for Pontesbury / Pontesbury Hill and could do a look up?

The question of the biological father of this baby raises an interesting family question. Mary Ann Thomas married Philip Davies in 1883, and so the baby born as Edward Thomas, became Edward Davies. This does raise an interesting Genetic question - because Edward Davies's (Nee Thomas) Genes are made up from Mary Ann Thomas and a currently unknown father - all the rest of his siblings Genes are made up of Mary Ann Thomas and Philip Davies's Genes.

Technically, Edward Davies's (Nee Thomas) descendants don't actually have any Davies Genes in them at all ! So are they Davies's by married name only !

Peter D.

angela35

Hi Peter, I dont live in Shropshire so can't access records for Pontesbury.
Think you are correct with birth cert as Pontesbury comes under Atcham in that year. I am on findmypast, I have checked that, with no results. Also checked freereg, no results.

As to your question as to descendants of Edward Thomas/ Davies, well , Philip Davies would be his step-father and his siblings would be his step siblings, so the answer is "no" he does not have any connection in his genes with the Davies family if the birth certificate comes back with no father named.

I notice that you have your tree on ancestry and that you have put Edward as son of Philip. If that is not the case and the birth cert says illegitimate, well you can not go any further in your quest to find his Father. He obviously put Philip as his father on his marriage cert, as maybe that he was indeed a good father to him, or other possibility, that he wasn't told that he was illegitimate.
Good luck with your family tree
Angela