Edward WARDMAN marriage to Mary PHILPOTT Abt 1822

11 replies [Last post]
angela35

I cannot find any details of this marriage . Edward WARDMAN b. Worthen, 1789-1870. I am trying to back track on him as I wish to see any parentage. He is listed on the Mormon site as chr. 6 dec 1789 to Benjamin WARDMAN and Elizabeth. He married again in 1834 to Sarah PREECE , I believe. Edward is on the 1841 census, Gorsty Bank, Worthen living with 2nd wife Sarah under the name WARMAN. I do have a tree on Ancestry but can't remember how I got their marriage details as can't find on Mormon site ? Mary PHILPOTT died before 1834. I do not live in Shropshire so I would be grateful for any info on these people please.

Michael J Hulme

Hello Angela

The Shropshire Marriage Index (available on CD-ROM from Shropshire FHS - see the drop down list under Shop top right) lists Edward WARMAN (no 'D') and Mary PHILPOTT being married at Worthen on 28 Jan 1822. He is shown as a Widower.

Mike

Tony68

When I checked online records of Worthen I couldn't find an Edward WARDMAN baptised on Dec 6th 1789. I then checked Family Search where this baptism is shown as occurring in the nearby parish of Shelve - i.e. on this same date, with same parents, and spelt 'Wardman'. There were also other Wardmans in the Shelve area having children at about this time.

In the Shropshire Burial Index [available on CD] there is a record of a Mary WARMAN [wife of Edward?] being buried at Westbury on 7th October 1831.

Tony

angela35

Many thanks as usual for info from you both.

angela35

Michael, I've just this minute "clicked" on what you said ;
"He is shown as a Widower."

That means that EDWARD WARMAN was married before. And, that makes sense as there is a daughter called ELIZABETH WARMAN born 1821 to EDWARD . Would there be any info on the 1st? marriage then ? I knew after MARY PHILPOTT ( my ancestor) died that he married again to SARAH PREECE in about 1834 . I gather that the CD Rom is out of stock now otherwise I would have bought it !

There were 2 EDWARD WARDMAN/ WARMAN deaths within two years of one another ( think our family was in 1870 in Pontesbury. ) other death 1869, so have had to ascertain which one is correct. EDWARD WARMAN is definitely our one died in 1870 according to probate .

Michael J Hulme

Hello Angela

Re info on the 1st marriage, the only way you can chase this is to discover the forename(s) of the first wife and an approximate date.  Does the Baptism of Elizabeth in 1821 give her mother's forename(s)?

Can you find the death/burial of the first wife before Edward's second marriage in Jan 1822?

Elizabeth might not have been an infant when baptised so could have been born some months earlier.  I know people often re-married fairly quickly to cope with the needs of the family but this seems rather extreme. You need to try to find the death of the first wife to make some sense of it.

Mike

angela35

Thanks Mike, it was only you yesterday that told me that he had been married before , so, got some researching to do methinks !
Thanks Mike.

angela35

Tony, many thanks for looking up burial of Mary WARMAN. I didn't know what year, only that it must have been before 1834 when EDWARD married again.
Is Westbury part of WORTHEN ? Would she have likely been buried there ?

Tony68

Angela,

Worthen and Westbury are quite separate parishes [SFHS have for sale a v useful map of the parishes in Shropshire + relevant info]. The main complication to where Mary may have been buried is that until 1847 baptisms and burials which took place at Minsterley were entered in the Westbury parish records. Up until then Minsterley was part of the Westbury parish ecclesiastical unit. The Warmans look as though they may have been based more in the Shelve area i.e. much closer to Minsterley, so she may have been buried there. On the Shropshire burials disc I think most Westbury burials are listed as 'Westbury St Mary' [the church in Westbury], and I know for sure that some relatives of mine listed as such were in fact buried in Minsterley. I don't think the actual Westbury parish record decides the matter. So my guess would be that she is buried either in Westbury or Minsterley.

Tony

Tony68

Angela,

Sorry! a correction. The Westbury parish record DOES distinguish Minsterley and Westbury burials, so checking out the parish record should decide the issue. Unfortunately I don't think there is an online transcription of these records for the date in question in 1831.

Tony

Tony68

Angela,

Yet further modification of what I've said above, but there is now an answer to your question! The Westbury records in the SFHS Burial index DO, in their further details, make the distinction between Westbury and Minsterley burials. Mary Warman was buried in Westbury [not Minsterley]; her age is recorded as 37 and her abode as 'Resting Hill'.

Tony

angela35

Tony, thank you so much for your help. What a lovely name for a place ! I googled it and it's in Snailbeach which makes sense. I've got to re-assess her birth now as I had her born Abt 1804 in Hissington ( no idea why I had that info !) so when you said death aged 37, it didn't equate to that dob !

Now got to find Edwards 1st wife ! Was only trying to get further back in Edwards parentage and ended up with all this so thank you very much both of you for all info given. I will look out for when the CD rom is available next.