Emily SCOTT/MORRIS/ROWLEY Born 1843 Worfield - desperately seeking her date of death.

8 replies [Last post]
Helen Stanley

I live in Australia. So - Emily ROWLEY born 1843 was the first child of William and Elizabeth ROWLEY nee HUGHES. She seems to have had a tragic life. Emily married William MORRIS on 30th April 1867 at Worfield, Shropshire. I have only found births for 3 sons -

• Arthur Howard MORRIS born 1871 at Worfield who died at 12 yrs,
  • William Henry MORRIS born 1874 who died 1890 aged 16 yrs.,
  • Albert Cyril MORRIS born 1881 Worfield. 

In the first half of 1888 Emily's 44 yrs. old husband William MORRIS died, however by 4th June 1888 his widow, Emily, had married 45 year old bachelor David SCOTT at Quatford. Just 3 years later in the 1891 Quatford census we read that David SCOTT is now the Parish Sexton BUT a 'Note' is made that David has "lost part of one leg".  Poor Emily, his wife is now working as a Charlady to make ends meet. Emily's last surviving son Albert Cyril MORRIS aged 9 is also recorded.
In 1901 Quatford census things are "looking up" as David SCOTT is now the Church Ferryman and Sexton, and his step-son 19 yrs. old Albert is "Assistant Ferryman".
Then in April 1904 not only David SCOTT died but Emily's last surviving son - Albert MORRIS also died that year aged just 22 yrs.  Faced with this tragedy Emily wrote to her brother George ROWLEY, (Lancashire), asking for his 17 yrs. old son, Rex ROWLEY, to help out and take over the Quatford Church Ferryman and Sexton's position. 
Rex, my grandfather, told me that he went to Quatford and lived with Emily filling this position for a couple of years.  Emily SCOTT became very fond of Rex, but Rex disliked that her home was a cave-like house dug into the soft sandstone cliffs with lamps the only light. Rex always contended that living in this type of accommodation was the cause of Emily's husband and son's demise.  Sadly the 1911 Census records that widow, Emily aged 68 yrs is now living alone, and is the Caretaker of Church and School, and that she had 5 children and 5 died. I have not been able to find Mrs Emily SCOTT/ MORRIS nee ROWLEY in any further census or a find a Death Reg. for her.
One last fact is that Emily's step-mother died in 1914 and left her small estate of £37 to Mrs Emily SCOTT - but I have no idea if Emily SCOTT was still alive in 1914.  I would dearly love to know the ending to Emily's story - did she remarry or did she die a widow, where and when?  Any help would be most appreciated. 

PhilPoole

Helen,

I just had a quick look at deaths on Fndmypast website and there is a possible record for death of Emily Scott in District of Bridgnorth in 1Q of 1940 Volume 6a Page 2259 aged 96 years (i.e. year of birth 1843/44). There is also a record for her in the 1939 National Register recently published by Findmypast, which gives her year of birth as 1843, and living in the household of  George H. Bennett (born 1876) and Fanny Bennett (born 1880). It states they were living in Bridgnort Rural District.  I do not have access to the full record, but for a fee you can view the image of the Register and find the address . Not sure if it will state if their was any family relationship between Emily anfd George/Fanny.

Hope this helps

Phil

Gwynne Chadwick

Hi Helen,

An excellent detailed enquiry.

From the Burial Register of Worfield Church;

Emily Scott of No.7 Ackleton, age 96. Buried on 3 Feb 1940.

I believe Emily would have been buried in the cemetery at Hallon, on the Northern outskirts of Worfield. The Churchyard burial plots would have been full by then. Having recorded and photographed all the cemetery headstones, I don't believe Emily has a memorial stone. However, I may be able to locate her plot on a very poor quality plan I have of the cemetery plots.

You detail three of Emily's five children.

Could another be George Ernest, Christened at Quatford on 12 Sept 1875. His father William MORRIS was a Labourer of Sandybury.

A few interesting snippets from my files about Quatford ferry and the families involved.

The Quatford ferry was provided by the Church so it could serve the village of Eardington across the river. My family used it for many generations, including my mother.

In the local newspaper, the Bridgnorth Journal, the ferry was mentioned at various times;

In 1901 "A short service will be held to open the new ferry boat at Quatford on Easter Sunday."

Issue dated 23rd April 1904, the death of Emily's husband was recorded "Died - David SCOTT, age 62, at the Ferry Cottage, Quatford."

Issue dated 6th August 1904, her Father in Law " Died - Peter SCOTT, age 86, Late of Danery Cottage, Quatford"

In 1908 a tragic accident involved a married couple visiting the area. Against local advice, they took a small boat from Bridgnorth downstream towards Quatford where they were later found drowned. It was assumed they hadn't seen the ferry cable stretched across the river and were knocked from their boat. A month later it was reported that the cable had been removed.

Perhaps that's when the SCOTT family gave up the ferry. In the 19th July 1910 newspaper issue we have "Died - Mrs TURLEY, age 59, at Quatford Ferry."

The photograph below of Quatford ferry is supposedly dated 1916. However, the cable stretched across the river can still be seen so the photograph may be pre 1908 and show your ancestor.

Hope it helps,

Gwynne

Michael J Hulme

Hello Helen

Following on from the information given by Gwynne I thought you might like to be able to look at some old mapping showing the position of the ferry crossing and also Sandybury Farm.

This link takes you to the National Library of Scotland web site where you can find scanned copies of old Ordnance Survey mapping from about a hundred years ago.  The link shows Bridgnorth and Quatford (highlighted) and three selectable maps on the right hand side for the years 1882/3, 1901/3 and 1924/9.

The three links below will take you directly to these individual maps each showing the ferry crossing near the bottom left and Sandybury Farm near the top right.  You can zoom in and out as you please.

1882/3

1901/3

1924/9

Mike

Helen Stanley

Thank you so much Mike for this information it was greatly appreciated. I have purchased the 1882/83 Ordinance Map this afternoon and I'm sure that my extended family will enjoy seeing where their ancestors lived and worked.  Once again, many thanks and best wishes for a very happy Christmas and joyful New Year.   

Helen Stanley

Hello Gwynne,

Thank you so much for your very detailed and information-filled reply.  I'm delighted to finally be able to "fill in " the final details of Emily  SCOTT/MORRIS nee ROWLEY's life.  I'm particularly grateful for Emily's burial date.  It seems quite amazing, and not a little sad, that Emily lived on to such a great age, yet her five children died at young ages.  Emily's siblings lost children too.  Emily's favourite brother and sister-in-law George and Maria Rowley first-born twin sons George Henry and William Ernest were baptised at Eardington in October 1884, and both died of Scarlet Fever just a few days apart aged only 3 years in April 1888 at Wem. So this family certainly had its fair share of grief.  Because Shropshire is so rural, more so in those days, I am surprised that these childhood diseases were so prevalent - and fatal!

Thank you also for mentioning George Ernest MORRIS baptised 12 September 1875.  It seems very likely that he was another of Emily and William Morris' sons.  (Perhaps named for her loved younger brother George Rowley)

Rex Rowley my grandfather, who took over the Quatford Ferry and Sexton's work at the request of his aunt Emily, recalled that Emily only had had sons and always "pined" for a little girl.   

Thank you also for all the interesting  "tid-bits" about the Quatford ferry, you have painted a wonderful picture for me. 

Season's greetings and my very best wishes to all at the SFHS, Helen in Victoria, Australia.

Helen Stanley

Hello Phil,

Thank you so much for taking the time to find Emily SCOTT/MORRIS nee ROWLEY in the 1939 Bridgnorth census.  I would never have thought to look for her there, or thought that Emily could have lived to be such a great age.   I have now bought that original 1939 census record from FMP and will spend a little time researching whether George H Bennett or Fanny Bennett that Emily was living with in 1939 were related to her in any way. 

I also noted that there were a Lucy M HUGHES aged 85 years and a Herbert HUGHES aged 60 years living just two doors away.  As Emily SCOTT/MORRIS nee ROWLEY mother's maiden name was Elizabeth HUGHES I did wonder if this was just coincidental or if these two 'HUGHES' might also be Emily's extended family - cousins or similar.

Thankyou once again.  Season's greetings to you and yours, regards from Helen in Victoria.

pennywhistle

Dear Helen,

I found doing an internet search for information about the ferrymen at Quatford. I live in the cottage which was provided by the church for the Quatford ferrymen, aptly named Ferry Cottage and I'm researching the history of the ferry itself and the house.

The steps down to the ferry still exist, as well as a hole in the rock filled with concrete which we think is where the post for the cable was and rock-cut steps leading to a path up the cliff behind the house which the parisioners used to get to the church. At times when the river erodes the opposite bank away you can also see the steps on the other side. The river depth in summer on our side of the river is very shallow as there is a rock shelf, and there appears to have been a channel cut into it to allow the ferry to reach the steps.

I'm a member of the Quatford history group which is preparing a local history event, and particularly looking for stories about individuals and individual, so I'd be very grateful if you wouldn't mind me using your information?

I have various photos of how the cottage and its surroundings look now, which I'd be happy to post if it would be of interest and if I can work out how to do it!

Best wishes

Penny

Helen Stanley

Dear Penny,

You are most welcome to use the rather tragic story of Emily Morris/Scott nee Rowley who was my great grand aunt.  Thanks to the combined information kindly supplied by several SFHS members I now know that Emily lived to be 96 years old - and was buried on 3rd February 1940 at Worfield Church.  I did find her in the 1939 census living at 7 Back Lane, Ackleton with George and Fanny Bennett. (George Bennett was a  Horseman aged 63 years, Fanny was aged 59 yrs - Occupation was "Unpaid Domestic Duties")  Unsurprisingly, in the 1939 census Emily Scott's "Occupation" is recorded as "Incapacitated by age".  

Rex Rowley told our family that he was only paid a very small "stipend" for his duties as Sexton and Ferryman.  His duties included ferrying parishioners and travellers, as well as being responsble for opening and closing the church before and after services, ringing the bells for the regular church services as well as for funerals and marriages. Rex also dug graves on a few occasions. 

My grandfather loved to tell the tale of how when he was working in the church  one very dark winter's afternoon, he felt quite panicky when he heard an eerie "swish, swish, swish" noise coming steadily towards him.  Then in a pale circle of  lamp light the hem of a black cape appeared.  However, just as Rex was about to "make a run for it", an equally shocked lady's voice suddenly exclaimed "Oh Rex, how you did startle me!" - it was only a lady parishioner come to do the church flowers!  Recalling this story reminds me of my grandfather's strong sense of humour. When excited Rex lapsed into a very broad accent, and if something really "tickled his funny-bone" - he would laugh until he cried.   However, I digress.

Penny feel free to use any of the information of my ancestor's story.  I would certainly love any photos of the Ferry Cottage.  One of Rex's daughter's now aged 96 years herself, is still alive and I know that she'd be delighted to see a photo. If you're interested, I can probably find a photo of Rex at a fairly young age - but would prefer to send it to your email address. (I also don't know how to post photos on this website).  If it's of any help you can forward photos to my email address at hstanley1@bigpond.com.  Happy New Year to you and yours, Helen