George NORTON c1856 Edgmond

2 replies [Last post]
tonyofanglesey

I am trying to find information about my Great Grand parents George Norton of Edgmond c1856 and Mary Ann Anslow Staffs c1871, in particular their marriage details c1890 which despite my best efforts remain a mystery.

I am also confused why my Grandfather Arthur Norton and his 4 siblings appear in the 1901 census in Newport workhouse, but without their parents ( George and Mary Ann ). In the 1911 census the whole family including additional younger children are all together again in Water Lane Newport.

Many thanks to anyone who can help. 

Tony from Anglesey

Martyn Freeth

Have you looked (for free) in 1881 Census, via Family Search, at the two Georges Norton born in Shropshire between 1850 and 1860? How do their occupations compare with what you know later of your George? One birthplace is close to Edgmond, other not too many miles away.

If either of these is the right one the then wife must have died and he remarried.

Try a similar exercise for Staffs.

tonyofanglesey

Hi Martyn,

Many thanks for your advice.

I too thought George had remarried, but 1891 census shows george with new wife mary ann 20yrs old.

They both appear in 1911 census, with mary ann 39 yrs old and statement they had been married for 20 years.

So the mystery continues, where were they married and why were their children seemingly abandoned in newport workhouse in 1901?

Regards

Tony