HULME family Clun 1871-1943

5 replies [Last post]
rosemarylenette

Has anyone got any information about the HULME family who moved to Clun from Cheshire in 1871? David HULME and his wife Ann lived at Little Hall. Their son Elijah was born in Clun in 1871 and lived until 1943.
Henry HULME lived at Whitcott Evan but is buried in HULME Walfield churchyard near Congleton. He died 24th may 1878, a Parish Magazine reads “accidentally killed in Shropshire on the railway"
As yet I can't find out anything about this. Any information would be appreciated

Moved from News and Announcements. MJH

Michael J Hulme

Hello Rosemary

Whilst I have never found a direct connection between my family and the HULME families who lived in the Clun area I did do a bit of research on them to see if I could establish a connection.

With regard to Henry HULME who died on the railway I hadn't previously been aware of him because he doesn't appear to have been born in Shropshire.  Looking at the Probate Index (on Ancestry) he didn't leave a Will but his wife Mary was granted Administration of his estate. The index tells us that he was late of Whitcot Evan, Clun, a farmer, who died on 20th May 1878 at the Infirmary, Shrewsbury. The civil registration death index tells us that he was age 32 so was born c.1845/6.

I presume he was the Henry HULME baptised Astbury on 8 Dec 1845 son of Henry and Ann HULME of Old Hall, Hulme Walfield.

Mike

rosemarylenette

Mike,

Thanks so much for your interesting reply - I wasn't expecting anything although I did notice your surname Hulme.

Yes, Henry was born in 1845, the son of Henry Hulme and his wife Ann. This Henry Hulme, born around 1814, was a younger brother of my great great grandfather David Hulme  born 1811. From 1836 David Hulme was a tenant at Hulme Walfield Hall Farm until he moved to Little Hall Clun just after the 1871 census .His moving is mentioned in the Bromley Davenport papers.

Henry Hulme senior lived a the Old Hall Hulme Walfield but there was no church at Hulme Walfield until 1856 henc  Henry born 1845e being  bapltised at Astbury.

I grew up in Hulme Walfield Hall and live near so I know the churchyard well.

Henry's gravestone reads that he is from Whitcott Evan and died on May 20th 1878 aged 32.

Sadly, it also reads William Evan, son, died 20 December 1880 3 years and 10 months

Mary, widow, 6th August 1890 (40)

Lucy, sister of Hery, died 19th Feb 1929 (84).

Apart from sister Lucy who lived a long life, it seems to have been a rather tragic family.

Lucy never married so I presume that line of Hulmes has stopped.

I have visited Clun but not found a grave for the Hulmes. David Hulme died in 1884 in Baginton while visiting his son, also called Henry. Although I found he was buried at Baginton, I could find no gravestone. However, I feel movingly, outdside Hulme Walfield Church is a flat stone that I noticed to a William Potts died 1867 described as a faithful servant to David Hulme for 32 years. I presume my great great grandad paid for this stone - quite a  caring employer.

My great great grandmother Ann lived until 1916 and I have 2 other addresses for her - Laurel Cottage and finally Hospital Terrace both in Clun.

David and Ann's youngest son, Elijah, was born in Clun in 1871, was married in 1910 and died in 1943. My late father, also David Hulme, remembered his father Tom, visiting Uncle Eli.

So that's the potted history of the Hulmes in Clun.

Again, thanks for the info about Shrewsbury Hospital.

Wonder if we are related in some complex convoluted way!

Regards,

Rosemary Gresty nee Hulme

Michael J Hulme

Hello Rosemary

Thank you for the information on your family. Unfortunately I still can't see a direct connection between our two families even though my own family came from Astbury parish in Cheshire.

I am descended from:-
Thomas HULME born abt.1710 - aft.1759
Thomas HULME born abt.1736 (possibly Siddington) - 1821 Astbury married Mary FURNIVAL
James HULME 1772 Astbury - 1852 Smallwood married Sarah JOHNSON
James HULME 1802 Astbury - 1869 Sandbach married Hannah BEECH
James HULME 1838 Betchton - 1909 Ellesmere, Shropshire married Sarah CORNES

There are some HULME gravestones at Clun. I will contact you direct with some details when I have put them together.

Mike

Michael J Hulme

In her original message Rosemary said that a parish magazine reads, “accidentally killed in Shropshire on the railway” and that she was looking for additional information.

Newspapers were the obvious place to look but unfortunately the collection on Find my Past does not include Shropshire in 1878 so the only other alternative was for her to visit Shropshire Archives to look through the papers there.

After giving this some thought I remembered that The National Library of Wales Welsh Newspapers Online web site might be worth a try.  Don’t let the name or source of the information put you off because the Welsh newspapers reported things from far and wide so Shropshire gets quite a good coverage and they are free to use.

I entered the name Henry HULME in the search box and used the sliders to restrict the date to 1878 and pressed search. Just one item was returned and it was the correct one.

I have passed this information direct to Rosemary but I thought it was well worth reminding other readers of the value of the Welsh Newspapers Online web site. Happy hunting.

Mike

Kitty

Dear Rosemary Hulme,

I have been researching the gravestones in Baginton St John the Baptist and I have come across the stone for David Hulme. It's flat to the ground and rectangular, a bit unusual. 
I think it may have been overgrown, as I've lived here for 36 years, and it's the first time I've noticed it. 
I have a photo if you would like me to send it to you please reply to my message to you on Facebook. 

With kind regards