Kitty CASE, lived in western Shropshire ca late 1830s

4 replies [Last post]
Vincent Walsh

I am developing a list of paupers applying to the Atcham Union's Board for relief in the 19th century. I have come to a case where the woman, applying for relief, has her family described by the Relieving Officer, with their occupations, earnings, residences -- and then the Board decision is that she can have weekly outdoor relief provided she goes and lives with "Kitty Case" who is nowhere introduced in the pauper's description. Here is what I have typed up for the pauper:

"The next entry: Anne Cooper, age 67, living in Wattlesboro with settlement in Cardiston. and with no current earned income. She had received regular relief for about 3 years which was discontinued prior to the formation of the Union. She has been in the habit of working in the fields, but has done nothing since last Michaelmas beside spinning 30 xxx Flax (at 4d per lb) for Mr Legh of Wollaston. She lives in the home of her married daughter Elizabeth and her husband, Samuel Weston, a shoemaker. The applicant used to rent about 27 acres of land about 19 years since, called Brockley Bank, and she went from there to (the old) Cardiston Workhouse.

Ann Cooper’s relations include daughter Elizabeth and her husband who rent about 3 acres of land under H. Lister, Esquire, and they keep a cow. Their rent is L 5.5.0 per annum. The nine Weston children (the pauper’s grandchildren) are listed, with their ages, residence and income: Joseph, 24, “lived with Mr Shore of Ivy End & left with him;” Elizabeth, 22, “at home, says she has bad knee, R. O. saw her carrying water;” Samuel, 18, at home, works for Mr T. Phillips a mason and earns 9/0 per week; Ellen, 15, lives with Mr Weavers of Winsley and earns L 2 per annum; and there are Anne, 11; Sarah, 7; William, 5; George, 3; and James 1½, all “at home”. Anne Cooper’s other relations include John Griffiths who lives in Stanford; Thomas Cooper who lives in Shrewsbury; and Elizabeth Davies who also lives in Shrewsbury.  John Griffiths married the sister of Anne Cooper’s late husband, and “is a carpenter by trade who has a lease of 22 acres of land under Sir B. Leighton” and pays rent of L 10, 10 s and a small farm under Mr Astley with rent about 70 or 80 Ls, and keeps 7 or 8 cows and 3 or 4 horses. Thomas Cooper married the applicant’s sister, and “is a turnkey at the Gaol.” Elizabeth Davies is the applicant’s sister, a widow and a char woman.                                                                                                       Board:  the applicant should reside with Kitty Case and then begin to receive 1/6 per week                                                                                                                                                                 Note: There is the remark, in another hand: “Did not go to reside with Kitty Case– Said to Relg Off it was a fine excuse.” My Note: There is no explanation as to who Kitty Case was.                                    (Frames 1;0103-4)"

Any ideas about Kitty Case?

Michael J Hulme

Hello Vincent

I just wonder if Kitty Case is a euphemism for the Workhouse or somewhere like that.

It is known that after civil registration started children who were born in the Workhouse were often quoted as born at a particular address to hide the real location.

Have you looked at the Workhouse web site to see if there are any clues on there?

Mike

Vincent Walsh

Although you may be correct, I have thought of that, too, and so far have found no reference to such slang. Besides, the pauper was supposed to start getting "1/6" -- outdoor relief -- as soon as she went in with Kitty Case. These records were maintained by the Clerk and Relieving Officers who worked under the close supervision of Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart., of Loton Park (1805-1871). I have read through many pages of these pauper records, and there was no slang, euphemisms or other humorous deviations from the straight and narrow. My interest in these records originates in my studies of the poor laws, but I understand that they will be mainly used by genealogists. So, someone eventually reading what I am developing will check out Kitty Case in the usual genealogical resources. I will keep my eyes open, but must resume my typing of this rich material. "Short and simple annals of the poor" are not so simple when you look at volumes of them.

By the way, each volume of these pauper records starts with an alphabetical listing of the paupers therein. I check into this site and occasionally, when I notice someone looking for info on someone who lived in the Atcham Union parishes in the period 1830s -- 1870, I scan what I have typed up from these books. My goal is to do at least a thousand pauper case stories, like the one presented above.

Vince Walsh,  Wayne (in Pennsylvania)

Peter John

Vincent,

The 1841 census lists a Catherine Case aged 80 (estimated year of birth 1761) living at Wattlesborough Heath, Alberbury, Shropshire.

Might she be the Kitty you are seeking?

Peter

Vincent Walsh

I think it has to be! It makes great sense. I will, however, provide a caution to researchers that they should check this further, if they wish to rely on this.
Again, I am most thankful!