Lillie Annie LEIGHTON 1888

14 replies [Last post]
john57sharp

Good morning - I wonder if anybody can help me with my enquiries about my great-grandmother?

I have hunted high and low in the Census data etc but I am really struggling to find her family - this much I know:

Lilie Annie Leighton born abt 1888 Wrockwardine, father Samuel deceased by 1907 when she married Edwin James Jesty. She lived in Birkenhead until she died 1962. She was known to the family as "Day"

I'm hoping there may be somebody who has come across this family or is even related?

Many thanks in advance.

John

morrisonman

Hello,

this looks like them at 1911 Census

Person: JESTY, Edwin James
Address: 2 Douglas St Birkenhead

census search results 1911 address search redefine current search
Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married
Sex Age Birth
Year
Occupation Where Born Original
census

JESTY, Edwin James Head Married M 28 1883 District Credit Bank Manager Cheshire Birkenhead VIEW  
JESTY, Lily Annie Wife Married
3 years
F 23 1888   Shropshire Wrockwardine VIEW  
JESTY, Edwin Leighton Son   M 2 1909   Cheshire Rock Ferry VIEW  

john57sharp

Hi - yes that's them! I can't get anything prior to the wedding though...

Cheers

John

morrisonman

"born Wrockwardine about 1888" : I guess is this by extrapolating from the 1911 Census info ?

I have checked the IGI for all of Shropshire, and find nobody resembling her (-:

mm

Martyn Freeth

Per the website FreeBMD, Lily LEIGHTON born March (i.e. first) quarter 1888 in Wellington, Salop Registration District; GRO reference 6a 767.

Am unable to search 1891 Census from home.

john57sharp

I also have the marriage certificate - she was 21 when married in 1907 - so maybe 1886...

Martyn Freeth

Parties to a marriage had a sort of vested interest in saying that they were at least 21. Thus the reported statement may not have been true.

I searched FreeBMD, by surname alone, for all Shropshire 1886-1890 inclusive. I leave you so repeat the search for a wider period. And to search 1891 Census for the father Samuel.

1881 Census, which one can search for free via Family Search shows three likely Samuels, two single, one a widower, all with their parents. In each cas the father came from the High Ercall area - as I half-guessed. Much existing research on Leighton there.

GrahamOfSalop

This might be your Lillie and due to her 'situation' chose to use her grandfather in place of her unknown father.
Lily LEIGHTON Baptised 12 Feb 1888 Wrockwardine Church (Page 112, Entry 891), Mother Julia LEIGHTON, Single Woman of Whitefields, Wrockwardine, SAL.

Julia LEIGHTON Baptised 12 Feb 1871 Wrockwardine Church (Page 60, Entry 474), Mother Emma LEIGHTON, Spinster of Whitefields, Wrockwardine, SAL.

I was informed by a fellow Leighton researcher that Emma LEIGHTON sometime later married a John WILKES.

Emma LEIGHTON Baptised 1 Jan 1852 Wrockwardine Church (Page 6, Entry 46), Parents Samuel & Eliza LEIGHTON, Labourer of Whitefields, Wrockwardine, SAL.

Samuel & Eliza LEIGHTON are my wife's 3X Gt Grandparents, who married 30 Dec 1842 Wrockwardine Church (Page 123, Entry 245), Sam'l was "Of Age" Bachelor Labourer from Allscott, father John LEIGHTON, Butcher, whilst Eliza TURNER was "Minor" Spinster of High Ercall daughter of John TURNER Bricklayer, witnesses James & Emma(?) TURNER.

Hope this helps

Graham

Martyn Freeth

I had an inkling, Graham, that this query might tie up with your wife's family; hence my reference to "much existing research".

It is understandable that when someone invents a father to put down for marriage purposes that "father" is usually deceased.

john57sharp

Thanks you all very much - I have just been in touch with somebody who I had heard of in Shrewsbury as a family friend, but it turns out that they too are descended from Samuel and Eliza and filled me in with details of Whitefields cottages and everything has become much clearer.

I will trawl the Census info shortly, but can I just clafiy from Graham's excellent info - was Emma also unmarried when she had Julia or did she perhaps marry twice?

Either way everything is beginning to join up - thanks again for all your help so far

Much appreciated

John

GrahamOfSalop

Hi John, Emma was a Spinster when Julia was baptised, so unmarried.
I was sure I had photos of Whitefields somewhere, but at the moment cannot find them.

Graham

john57sharp

Of course - sorry I should have spotted that - full of cold and its befuddling my head!

Thanks again for all the help - be interested to see those photo's if you ever come across them...

John

GrahamOfSalop

What am I like! Whilst wearing my WebMaster hat, I loaded the photo onto this very web-site, when we were creating it!

Whitefields, Wrockwardine

Graham

TonyS

To john57sharp - I may be able to help you a bit more. If you'd like to discuss off-forum just let me have an email address and I'll get back to you.

Tony

john57sharp

Hi Tony - yes please - any help much appreciated - john57sharp@gmail.com

Sorry I only just saw this - been hectic

John