Pre 1837 marriage parish records

8 replies [Last post]
nat.rey.gar

Hi team, 

I have found a possible marriage for a relative that dates back to 1835. 

Are there any websites that allow you to pay for individual documents rather than full blown memberships? I don't have much free time due to the nature of my job and so do the research in bursts and a membership would be money wasted. 

Many thanks in advance!

Nat

Edit:

As has been advised to me, here is the information I have:

Marriage between Ann Child and Edward Reynolds

6th Dec 1835 in Munslow, Shropshire.

FHL Film No. 1702122

Ref ID item 102 p 34

nat.rey.gar

I gather it'll be parish records

Michael J Hulme

Hello Nat

There are a few things which spring to mind here.

I don't think you can pay for individual documents on any of the pay-to-view web sites but you can probably pay for a one month subscription which would probably suit you.  Accumulate a number of things you wish to look up then pay for one month and deal with them. Then wait a few months and do the same again. Make sure that you only sign up for a single month and cancel your membership half way through the month before it automatically renews.

You may not even need to pay for a subscription. Many libraries and archives have subscriptions to the pay sites so check with your local ones to see if they have a subscription to the site(s) which hold the information you are looking for.

You may even be able to find the answer you want on the Family Search web site which is completely free. Click the search button below the large image.

When asking a question like this it is always better to include the details you already have - the names, date, place and source just in case someone else already has the answer or may be researching the same family.

Mike

nat.rey.gar

Thanks a lot Mike. I'll edit my post now and include the info. 

Michael J Hulme

Hello Nat

You already have virtually all the information from the marriage entry except that they were both 'of this parish' (Munslow) and the marriage was by Banns.  Both made their mark (rather than signing) and the two witnesses Francis CHILD and Sarah CHILD both make their mark.

You can see a copy of the original register entry, and print it off, from the Find my Past web site by going to Search Records --> A-Z of record sets --> United Kingdom --> then put Shropshire in the search box and it will bring up a list of the available Shropshire Parish Registers. Note that most end at 1900.

Mike

PhilPoole

Hi Nat,

The other thing you could do is to keep an eye out for "free weekends" with the Ancestry and Findmypast websites. They run these at random times through the year to help drum up new business, but are handy for the occassional user like yourself. But as Mike states make sure you cancel any membership details at the end of the trial period. A good way of finding out when they are is by joining the "Lost Cousins" webisite, which is free and provides lots of useful info. The web addtess is:

http://www.lostcousins.com/

Hope this helps

Phil

nat.rey.gar

Thanks a bunch Michael. I am actually looking for Ann Child's parents' names,so perhaps Francis and Sarah are them, or siblings perhaps. 

And thank you for the link to FindMyPast. I'll have a look!

nat.rey.gar

Hi Phil,

yes that's a good idea actually. Will keep the website handy :)

Many thanks for taking the time to reply!

Michael J Hulme

Hello Nat

Sometimes, if you are lucky, you will find elderly parents living with their family in the census but unfortunately that does not appear to be the case with your family.

Having said that, your family do appear regularly on the census and this tells us that Ann REYNOLDS (nee CHILD) was born at Stoke St Milborough.  Going back to the Shropshire Registers on Find my Past (described above) there appears to be only one Baptism which fits the date and place and that is for Ann daur of Robert & Elizabeth CHILD of Stoke Farm? Labourer baptised at Stoke St Milborough 16 Oct 1814.

You now need to establish who the two witnesses to the marriage are.

Mike