RAY & GREGORY Families from Wombridge, Wellington and Wrockwarding early 1700s to mid 1800s

6 replies [Last post]
essexclark

I'm looking for anyone researching the Ray and Gregory family from the areas of Wellington and Wrockwarding early 1700s to mid 1800s.

My Gt Gt grandfather was James RAY born c1832 Wellington (Oakengates), Shropshire, s/o William Ray and Elizabeth GREGORY.  James had the following siblings:

Mary Ann b. c1822 Wombridge.  m. Samuel GOODALL bef 1839

George b. c1824 Wombridge - d. July 1903 Wolverhampton.  m. Ann HOLLAND (c1919-1884)

Ann b. c1826 Shropshire (not found after the 1841 census)

Emma b. c1829 Shropshire (not found after the 1841 census)

James (my Gt Gt Grandfather)b. c1832 Wellington (Oakengates) - d. Dec qtr 1913 Wolverhampton. m. 3 Jun 1860 Wolverhampton to Mary Ann GOLDING/GOULDING(c1835-1919).

Sarah b. c1834 Shropshire (not found after the 1841 census)

Eliza b. Mar qtr 1839 Wellington - d. 1912 reg Newcastle under Lyme, Staff.  m. Dec qtr 1857 Shiffnal to Samuel HOPWOOD (c1835-1910)

William RAY was a Labourer from Wolverhampton.  It was his wife's family the came from the Wellington area and his children that were born there. 

Elizabeth GREGORY and William RAY and married 21 Nov 1819 in Wrockwardine.  Her father was not named on the marriage transcript.  We are having trouble working out who her parents were.  So far we have 3 possibilities: 

Thomas GREGORY age 76 living with Elizabeth & William in Wombridge on the 1841 census.  Elizabeth RAY nee GREGORY died Sep qtr 1846, reg Wellington. 

In 1851 Elizabeth & William's dau Mary Ann and her husband Samuel GOODALL were the next family on the census under Francis GREGORY and his children.  On the 1861 census a John GREGORY age 37, Unm, was visiting William at his home in Wombridge.  John was the s/o Francis GREGORY and Elizabeth EATON. 

Only one baptism has been found for an Elizabeth GREGORY and that was on 25 Apr 1795 in Wombridge, d/o William & Elizabeth GREGORY .  We know there are a lot of gaps on the IGI for that area and it is possible that Elizabeth's baptism is not up there.

We have no doubt that Thomas, Francis and William GREGORY were all related but which one (if any) was the father of Elizabeth GREGORY who was recorded as age 45 on the 1841 census - in 1841 you can give or take 5 years on the recorded age.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Michael J Hulme

Hello

If you go to 'Online Databases' on the blue bar above then select 'Members Interests' you can enter each of the surnames you are researching to see who else is researching that name. You don't need to enter a place.

With regard to your mention of ages in the 1841 census in your last but one paragraph, someone shown as 45 should have been 45-49 years old. The age of adults (but not children) was supposed to be rounded down to the nearest five years.

Mike

essexclark

Hi Mike,

I did find the Online Databases earlier today.  There were 2 that I was interested in but dont know how to find out how to contact the members.  There is no email address displayed and no link to open for further information.  Also, I couldn't fine an option for me to add my interest to the list. 

# Interest Area Chapman Dates Mem No Email
0 GREGORY Wellington Sal C19 101  
1 GREGORY Wellington Sal C18 241

With the 1841 I have learned to give  and take 5 years both ways.  I have found with men who were younger than their wives that they were often recorded as older than they really were.  I also have a number of women older than their husband were recorded up to 10 years younger than their real age so that they appeared younger than their husbands.  They took a lot of liberty sometimes with rounding off their ages.

SFHS WebMaster

Hi,  I have emailed Member 241 asking if I can give you their email address and await their response. I only have a phone number for the other member and cannot make calls at the moment.

We are working on getting the Members Interests section of the web-site updated to allow you to email privately any member who publishes an email address and to give you the option to contact someone in the society to somehow attempt to make contact with "non-emailed" members.

As you are a registered user of the web-site (to allow you access to the forum) and not a paid up full member of the Society you are not allowed to post your own interests to the Members Interests section of the site, however if you were to join, then of course your interests would be added at the next update.

Hope some of this helps

SFHS WebMaster

Hi EssexClark, member 241's email addrees has been sent to you off-line.

WebMaster

essexclark

Thank you, I received your email and have sent off a message to member 241. 

I also hope to find out who holds the parish records and purchase the marriage record of Elizabeth Gregory to William Ray 21 November 1819 in Wrockwardine.  If I am lucky it may name their fathers, which will give me the clues I need to help sort out the Gregory family.

Thanks again,

Diane

Rev. Dr. Gregory

Hello,

I would be grateful for any information that anyone has on the Shawbury GREGORYs pre 1689. The earliest entry that I have in my tree is for John GREGORY 1689-1744. His wife was Esther. They had a son, Thomas, that was born c.1740 whose wife was Mary MUNSLOW. I do not know where John was born, though I assume Shawbury, as this is where he seemed to live and die. Also, does anyone know of any link between the Shropshire GREGORYs and the Essex GREGORYs, notably the GREGORY brothers that were part of Dick TURPIN's gang?

Many thanks

Rich