Richard NONELEY 1701-1759 Need Help

15 replies [Last post]
kathryn nunnerley

I need help finding Richard Noneley 1701 -1759 Loppington, parents. I have been searching since January and I think it could be Richard born 1682 wife Mary Atcherley born 1687 married 1695 but aren't they a bit young or is this normal, any help would be great hope to hear from someone soon and thanks for taking the time to read this     Kathryn

Atcherley.org.uk

Hi Kathryn

Richard Noneley (spelling of surname varies) baptised 16 Jul 1701 at Loppington married Mary Atcherley (baptised 24 Sep 1706 at Whittington) on 14 Dec 1725 at Ellesmere (the parish register shows that “Richard Nunnaley of ye Parish of Lopington & Mary Atcherly of ye Parish of Whitington ware Married by Licance.”). A young bride but her father's will of 10 Mar 1725/6 confirms that she married Richard Noneley. He was a bit miffed that Mr Noneley had not settled a sufficient joynture upon Mary following their marriage, and the sum of £450 was to be paid to him as a marriage portion only when he did settle such a joynture. Shropshire Archives item 731/2/1860 dated 9 Jul 1726 (Bygott Collection Hill of Hawkstone) is the Marriage settlement of "Richard Nonneley the younger and Mary Atcherley". I have not examined that document (yet).

Richard's baptism record (a copy of which I have previously viewed at Shropshire Archives) reads “Richard the son of Richard Nonnley yeom and Mary his wife”. Published extracts of the Loppington registers give the surname as Nonulley while FamilySearch has Nonelly - were we all looking at the same record?!?

I have no record of a Mary Atcherley born 1687 marrying a Richard Noneley in 1695 - please could you confirm where this marriage took place and also the source of that information? Also where Mary Atcherley was baptised in 1687 and the names of her parents?

Possibly Richard's parents were the Richard Nunnely and Mary Groome who married at Shrewsbury St Alkmund on 24 Feb 1695 - see https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NKH5-TVS - and checking the original register entry would hopefully show the parishes of the bride and groom (or should I say the Nunnely and Groome?). However it is intersting to note that published extracts from the Loppington register show baptisms of children of Richard and Mary Noneley from 1696 onwards and not before, which ties in well with the above marriage date: "Mary d. of Richard Nonnully & Mary" on 4 Nov 1695; "John s. of Richard Nonelley & Mary" on 29 Jan 1698; Richard in 1701 as noted above; and "Sara d. of Richard Nonnulley yeoman & Mary" on 12 Apr 1704. The same published extracts also show what might be the baptism of Richard senior himself, "Richard s. of John Nonneley junr. & Elizabeth" on 28 Jul 1674.

Shropshire Archives item 731/2/1859 dated 22 Feb 1722 is the will of Richard Noneley the elder, who I presume to be Richard junior's father. If you can get to Shropshire Archives and examine the will (you will need a Reader's Ticket if you don't already have one) it could be quite revealing.

I am researching not only the Atcherley family but also all of their descendants including female lines so if you have information on the descendants of Richard Noneley and Mary Atcherley I would be very interested to hear from you. My Guild of One Name Studies profile page has an email address for me.

Steve

Atcherley family historian
www.atcherley.org.uk/wordpress

kathryn nunnerley

Hi Steve,I am overwhelmed with what you have found for me so much so I have read it numerous times and still can't work it out in my head I don't seem to be able to figure out who is who because I am use to seeing it in husband ,wife marriage, etc but anyway I will try my best to explain the other's you asked about here goes. I joined a site called Mundia and I typed in Richard Noneley 1701 I found his name and clicked on it and the Atcherley family came up as well to my surprise the rest of her family I think their marriage details are there too. I also found his father Richard on FamilySearch but they are really young at the time of his marriage so to Mary Groome she was 8 him 13 but it was there on FamilySearch its after him I am stuck more so but I can add them now as I know for sure I have it right,Hope this i helpful to you and any more information on Richard Noneley 1682 his descendants I would appreciate all the help you can offer Kathryn

kathryn nunnerley

Sorry Steve Mary Atcherley was born 1706 Mary Groome was 1687   Kathryn

Atcherley.org.uk

Hi Kathryn

Mundia is run by Ancestry.com, and basically it consists of family trees which were originally created by Ancestry subscribers like myself (Ancestry are basically making money from their subscribers' work, which means we are paying them to work for them!). The tree you found on Mundia is very likely based on one of several Atcherley family trees that I have created at Ancestry. I'm not sure what records you found at FamilySearch but, although people certainly could marry very young way back when, I don't think in this case we have a marriage of a couple who were aged 8 and 13.

Let's start again from the top. We have Richard Noneley, probably the one who was baptised at Loppington on 28 Jul 1674, the son of John Noneley and Elizabeth. It looks like this Richard married Mary Groome at Shrewsbury St Alkmund on 24 Feb 1695. Richard would then have been around 20 years old. His bride's age I don't know as I have not established which Mary Groome he married. The record of their marriage might give some clues, but it might simply give the names of both parties.

This Richard and Mary Noneley had four children that I know of, all baptised at Loppington: Mary (baptised 4 Nov 1695, buried 1 May 1703), John (baptised 29 Jan 1698, buried 24 Jan 1716), Richard (baptised 16 Jul 1701) and Sarah (baptised 12 Apr 1704, buried 20 Apr 1729).

Richard Noneley the younger (as he became known) married Mary Atcherley on 14 Dec 1725 and would have been around 25 at that time. Mary Atcherley, who was baptised 24 Sep 1706, would have been around 19.

Richard Noneley the younger and his wife Mary (Atcherley) had six children that I know of, all baptised at Loppington: Mary, Richard (who died aged 2), Sarah (who was buried four days after she was baptised), another Sarah, Elizabeth, and another Richard who was baptised 11 Sep 1740.

The Richard Noneley who was baptised in 1740 married Margaret Marigold (or Marygold) at Wrockwardine in 1768. They had three children that I know of, again all baptised at Loppington: Richard Marygold (or Marigold) Noneley (baptised in 1771), Elizabeth Noneley (baptised in 1772) and Thomas Noneley (baptised in 1774 and buried 1799 aged about 24).

Richard Marygold/Marigold Noneley married Margaretta Steele at Market Drayton in 1798. As far as I know they had one son, also named Richard Marigold/Marygold Noneley, who was baptised in 1801 at Market Drayton and buried, aged about 31, at Loppington in 1832.

Steve

kathryn nunnerley

Hello Steve, Thanks for that it makes sense know but I was hoping you would of named  Richard born 1771 wife Ruth as I have them having my 4x grt grandad John (James) Noneley born Baschurch in 1796 and Married Sarah, now I think I have it all wrong again. If I send you what I have as family, could you take a look and see if I am on track if its not to much. i will wait to hear from you first its so frustrating when you realise it might be wrong. Thanks again   Kathryn

Atcherley.org.uk

Hi Kathryn

Thanks for your email, in which you gave details of what you have from your great great grandfather and beyond. I wanted to make sure we weren't barking up completely the wrong family tree so I have managed to find your birth registration index entry and trace your ancestry back from there. Let's start with your grandfather Joseph Nunnerley, who was born 24 Sep 1910 in Liverpool and died there 1978. He appears on the 1911 census (surname Nunerley) with his father:

John James Nunerley, born about 1886 in Liverpool, with wife Mary (who was granted administration of his estate in 1941 after his death). Ancestry has a baptism for John James Nunnerley in Liverpool, giving his date of birth as 7 Sep 1886, and naming his father:

Edward Nunnerley, a carter, wife Emma. The 1891 census shows Edward with Emma and indicates that he was born around 1865 at Ruyton in Shropshire. This is good, as it is the same person you have as your great great grandfather. Tracking Edward back to Shropshire at Ancestry was tricky as they have the family's surname transcribed as Minerley on the 1871 census, where Edward appears with his family. I have submitted a correction to Ancestry. The family were at Baschurch and Edward was age 7, birthplace given as Baschurch rather than Ruyton but I'm happy we have the right person. Ruyton is 'next door' and you have Edward's marriage certificate which would name his father, who on the 1871 census, and at Edward's baptism at Baschurch on 11 Oct 1863, is named as:

Joseph Nunnerley, born around 1835-7 (his age varies from one census to another, not unusual). As a bonus, and as you have already seen, also in the household in 1871 is Joseph's father:

John Nunnerley, a widower aged 75 and born at Baschurch. He shows up on the 1841 census with wife Sarah and children Edward (11), Joseph (7) and James (5). Now we are back beyond civil registration and census and reliant on parish records, and probably only parish records as this family were agricultural labourers, carters etc and so much less likely to leave wills or have monumental inscriptions in churchyards. We have one prime candidate for John's baptism, courtesy of FamilySearch, which is John Nonely baptised 19 Sep 1796 at Baschurch. You have also found this. His father is named as:

Richard Nonely, wife Ruth (having found the same baptism you also have these names). Baptisms for other children of this couple at Baschurch range from 1791 (Martha) to 1801 (Richard junior) and spellings of the surname vary (Nonely / Nonaly / Nonaley). Richard probably married Ruth in the late 1780s, but I haven't spotted their marriage yet at FamilySearch or on the Shropshire Marriage Index. We are probably therefore looking for a Richard N*n*l*y baptised in the Baschurch area, any time from say, 1750ish to 1760ish, or even a little before this. This is where things get tricky. There are several possibilities on FamilySearch, but there are two problems. (1) FamilySearch only gives us names, parishes and dates whereas as the original records might give a little more (specific place within the parish, father's occupation, "Esq" after the father's name, though none of this is guaranteed and the orginal records for this time period (pre-1812) might only give us the same info we can find in the FamilySearch index). (2) FamilySearch does not cover all the parishes in Shropshire, for example there is nothing for West Felton, a large parish on the other side of Ruyton from Baschurch, for this time period. It is so easy to pick a likely looking candidate from FamilySearch without knowing that there is an even better match for which there is no record available online!

I think we can rule out Richard Marygold Noneley baptised 28 Feb 1771 at Loppington as he was an Esquire, a man of means who as I mentioned above married Margaretta Steele in 1798.There's a Richard Noneley/Nunnally, son of Arthur and Mary, who was baptised at Loppington on 31 Jul 1750, though I suspect Arthur was also of the landowning class. Very tempting as a possibility is Richard Nunnerley, son of Richard and Elizabeth, baptised 24 Jul 1759 at Great Ness, just south of Baschurch parish. However I would be wary about accepting this without seeing the baptism record itself - and also if possible the record of the parent's marriage - to see what extra information might be obtained.

Another way of doing things is to take the other likely candidates and see if you can trace them forwards. Does Richard of Loppington, son of Arthur, marry someone other than Ruth in the Loppington area some 20-30 years after he was baptised, have children with her during the 1790s and so put himself out of the running? Ditto with Richard of Duddleston baptised 4 Jan 1767, Richard of Montford baptised 1 Apr 1750, and maybe even Richard of Whitchurch baptised 25 Nov 1760.

Tracing ancestors back into the mid-1700s and beyond can be frustratingly difficult, if not impossible, especially in the case of labourers, and even more so if they had common surnames. I know this only too well as most of my own ancestral lines consist of such people and I have only traced them back with certainty to the early 1800s or very late 1700s (my Atcherley ancestors and kin are the main exception, going back to the early 1600s). In these circumstances it can often be more satisfying to stick with the ancestors you can be certain of and try to find out more about the lives they would have led, the communities they lived in and the historical events that would have touched them. What were their stories, why might they have moved from one place to another, what did they die of, what did their jobs involve, and how did their lives change as agricultural practices evolved, as industry and urbanisation gained pace, as transportation improved and as social reforms were introduced?

Steve

kathryn nunnerley

Hello again Steve, thanks for all that info I started to loose the plot at the Richard (Loppington) and Ruth I dont think they married but I found another 3 kids after Martha 1791-1801 they were Thomas1803 Ann 1805 Edwar1808 he married a Mary. Possible parents, RCHD NONELEY OF RCHD NONELEY AND MARY B, 11 SEP 1740. LOPPINGTON. RCHD NUNNERLEY OFRCHD NUNNERLEY AND ELIZABETH WILD B. 11 MARCH 1742, GREAT NESS. RCHD NONELY OF RCHD NONELEY AND ELIZ* 9 JULY 1748 MONTFORD RCHD NONELY RCHD NONELY  B.1 APRIL 1750 MONTFORD. RCHD NONELEY OF ARTHUR NONELEY AND MARY 10 SEP.1750 LOPPINGTON. RCHD NUNNERLEY OF RCHD NUNNERLEY AND ELIZ* B.1759 GREAT NESS. RCHD NUNNERLEY OF RCHD NUNNERLEY ANN PRICE B. 25 NOV 1760 WHITCHURCH.

Am I right in thiking it could be one of these ?. I now feel sick it is harder than I thought but I will do my best hope you dont disappear on me  speak soon hopefully   Kathryn

Atcherley.org.uk

Hi Kathryn

I don't think we can say with any certainty that Richard and Ruth didn't marry. As I mentioned above, FamilySearch does not have records for every parish in Shropshire (I suspect the same applies for most if not all other counties), so the absence of a marriage on FamilySearch does not mean that one did not take place. A record of the marriage could well exists in one of the parish registers held at Shropshire Archives. There is even the possibility that the marriage might have taken place in neighbouring Cheshire, Flintshire or Montgomeryshire.

The various children named Richard Noneley / Nunnerley (and variants) for whom you have found the baptisms in Shropshire listed above are all potential candidates for the Richard who had children with Ruth at Baschurch. Now the hard work begins.

Checking the parish records at Shropshire Archives may well help, if you can get there. I don't live close enough to just 'pop in' so I either go by train on a Thursday when the Archives are open the longest (as I did last Thursday) or (as I did the week before) I drive to Shrewsbury and stay at a B&B for a few nights so that I can walk or take a bus into the town centre each day and make full use of the opening hours from Wednesday to Saturday (and then take in a village or two on the way home to see and photograph places where ancestors lived or Monumental Inscriptions dedicated to them in churches / churchyards). Either way, to make the most of my archive time I take with me a detailed list of known parish records (identified from FamilySearch mainly) that I want to to check, and of parish registers which I want to search through (on microfiche or in the printed or handwritten transcriptions) in the hope of finding events not on FamilySearch. I may also have a list of original documents, found via Discovering Shropshire's History, so that I can view and perhaps photograph them in the Search Room.

A localised 'one name study' of the Noneleys (and variants) in Shropshire during the 1700s in Shropshire might also be worthwhile. Gather all the references you can find relating to these people, and use that information to piece together trees of the various families. In the process you may well be able to rule many of them out as likely ancestors and that will narrow your focus on those who remain. With luck you could hit on the family from which you are descended.

You have done well to get as far back as John, baptised at Baschurch in 1796, with the aid of BMDs, census records and parish records available online (which is what I used to trace your direct paternal line back to John starting with just your name). Tracing ancestry back through the 1700s and beyond with any degree of certainty however often involves harder work and different approaches.

Apologies if my postings are less frequent from this point; after a two week "holiday" (read - a fortnight of intensive family history research and data analysis!) I am back at work, and to cap it all am not feeling too well!

Steve

kathryn nunnerley

Hi Steve, I have to say thanks again for your help and I am going to have to plan a day at the Archives. I do have some papers I think they are fiche's they have every Noneley and variants on but its getting harder even though there are less people as that's what I have tried to do by eliminating them. I will start again and pencil them out see what I can find fingers crossed. Hope your feeling better and I will catch up again soon thanks again, Kathryn.

bristolloggerheads

Richard Marigold Noneley of Drayton in Hales was a surgeon in 1802.

SA X665/2/3/12/166-7

Peter

kathryn nunnerley

Thanks Peter, I thought I had seen that somewhere but had forgot which one of them Richard's it was there are so many of them can't keep up.

kathryn nunnerley

Went to the Archives with a friend who has been helping me do research on my family we did okay. After the visit  I found a Richard Nunneley born in Baschurch in 1771 my friend has done a some more research on him and came up with a possible father for him he also is Richard born in 1742 Great Ness but don't have nothing more on him (wife)etc. His parents were Richard born 1705 in Shrawardine and Elizabeth and his parents Richard and Margaret not sure on their births he could be 1682 can anyone help me with this and and look to see if I am on the right track appreciate any help thanks again Kathryn

saythatiwasfoolish

Hi Cousin Kathryn,

Get in touch, we need to compare information,

Have you found the Noneley family crest yet ? :)

Do you know about James Ikin Nunnerley who surviced Charge of the Light Brigade and whose medals are in the 17th/21st  Lancers museum at Grantham?

Adrian Nunnerley

Michael J Hulme

Hello Adrian

I have sent your email address to Kathryn.

Mike, Admin

kathryn nunnerley

Hi Adrian, So we are cousins, can you tell me who is the connection with I am not sure if I am related directly to James Ikin Nunnerley but I do know a lot about him I will fill in everyone else when I find my direct descendants. Where about do you live I am in Liverpool and have you been doing research for long and how far back are you its not as easy as I first thought look forward to hearing from you    Kathryn