Ruyton-XI-Towns JONES Baptism 1845

5 replies [Last post]
Mike Jones
Does anyone know where baptism records for Ruyton-XI-Towns in 1845 can be found? Alternatively, if anyone has access to them and wouldn't mind looking for Edward JONES, born 1845 in Ruyton, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Mike 

Michael J Hulme

Hello Mike

You are probably aware that the Family Search web site (part of the LDS Church) has information from many Shropshire parishes.  For many years it has been possible to establish what is available for each parish in each county on the Hugh Wallis England IGI Batch Number web site but this is now somewhat out of date and has been superseded by Family Search: a Guide to the British batches by Archer Software.  This reveals that the Ruyton XI Towns Baptisms are available until 1858.

If you click on the green coloured Batch Number (C006592 in your case) it takes you to another screen where you can enter the Surname if you wish and then Submit the query.  There are only a handful of JONES Baptisms listed and they don't appear to include your Edward JONES unless he was Baptised quite a long time after his Birth.

How confident are you that you have the correct date and place of birth?  There are two other places called Ryton (note spelling) in Shropshire.

Mike

Mike Jones

Hello Mike

Many thanks for the link - I wasn't aware of that way of accessing the LDS data - it's very handy.  Like you, I couldn't see any likely candidates for Edward there though. You ask how sure I am about his place and date of birth, and the answer is fairly sure (within limits). He was quite consistent on censuses, as shown below, with only minor variations on the theme.  I have looked at all the Joneses in Ruyton on the 1851 and 1861 censuses, line by line, and can't see anyone very promising there either.  His census entries are:

1871 census RG10 /2793/36 /8

Wood, Burlton

Edward Jones 1845 (26) Agricultural Labourer. Born Ruyton XI Towns, Shropshire

Jane Jones 1843 (28) Born Worthen, Shropshire

Mary Jones 1871 (0) Born Burlton, Shropshire

1881 census RG11/2668/5 /2

Cross Keys, Burlton, Loppington

Edward Jones 1845 (36) Farm Labourer. Born Oswestry, Shropshire

Jane Jones 1843 (38) Born Worthen, Shropshire

Jane Jones 1871 (10) Born Loppington

William Jones 1874 (7) Born Loppington (My great grandfather)

1891 census RG12 /2123 /101/3

Pickhill Lane, Loppington, Burlton

Edward Jones 1845 (46) Farm labourer Born Ruyton of the XI towns

Jane Jones 1844 (47) Born Worthen, Shropshire (error on transcript – 1850 and 41)

1895 Marriage Certificate William Edward Jones and Amy Williams. Father: Edward Jones. Occupation Labourer.

1901 Census RG13/2553 /167/2

Wood Farm, Burlton, Loppington, Wem

Edward Jones 1848 (53) Worker Born Hopton, Salop (is this a 1901 error for Ruyton?)

Jane Jones 1845 (56) Born Worthen, Salop

1911 Census RG14PN16206 RG78PN1003 RD352 SD1 ED10 SN43

Burlton, Loppington

Edward Jones 1846 (65) widower. Farm labourer. Born Ruyton XI Towns, Salop

So, I'm stuck again! There were 4 Edward Jones births registered in Oswestry in 1845, and I have a feeling I'll need to buy all 4 certificates to see which, if any, were born in Ruyton. Unless of course, anyone here has a cleverer suggestion.

Thanks again for your help

Mike

Michael J Hulme

Hello Mike

If there are four possible Birth Registrations why don't you apply for a copy from Shrewsbury and say that you only want the one out of the four who was born at Ruyton XI Towns.  You will be fairly unlucky if more than one was born at R XI T.

Mike

Mike Jones

I didn't realise I could do that. I've always ordered certificates from the GRO, but this way of operating sounds much better.

Thanks very much again for your help

Mike

Mike Jones

Unfortunately they couldn't find any record of this birth, which has me totally stumped for the moment.