Samuel SMOUT b about 1807 Culmington

7 replies [Last post]
adriennelawrence

Hi, I am researching Samuel SMOUT who married Ann HANDLEY 29 Dec.1831 in Cleobury Mortimer, really struggling with his parents Charles and Mary. There appear to be two families with parents Charles and Mary SMOUT in the same area and at about the same time. Is Samuel's father Charles who in 1841 was widowed living with a family called DOWNES in Vernolds Common, Burley, a pauper by 1851 or Charles living with his wife Mary, shoemaker in Stanton Lacy 1841 and 1851. Samuel consistently gives his birth place as Culmington.

Michael J Hulme

Hello

I think I would start by trying to reconstruct both families so that you can establish who all the children are in each. To do this you will need to search the Baptism registers for Culmington and possibly its surrounding parishes. Any Baptisms from 1813 onwards will show the father's occupation and abode which will be a great help distinguishing between the two families.

You then need to find both families in as many Census records as possible. Provided each family used slightly different names for their children you should then be able to tell which set of parents are yours.

Don't forget to check the Burial registers for both families to make sure you don't try to establish a connection with someone who died as a child or young person.

Mike

davews

Hi..  Your Samuel SMOUT , I think according to Culmington Church records,  was born on 12th August 1807  and was baptized on 23rd August 1807  , son of Charles and Mary SMOUT.  Charles and Mary lived at Vernals/Vernolds Common where Charles was a Limer.

I had the same problems when I researched my Smout family  who incidentally was the other Charles and Mary SMOUT who went to live in Stanton Lacy where Charles was a shoemaker.  My Charles and Mary married in 1814..

Hope this helps a little

Dave S

adriennelawrence

Hi Mike

Many thanks for your comments and apologies for not replying sooner.

I live in Surrey and was hoping to do some of this research on line. Findmypast is not very helpful, Mel Lockies site doesn't seem to cover Culmington. Other peoples trees on Ancestry added to the problem and the few people I contacted either couldn't remember where they got the information or had copied details from other trees.

Regards Adrienne

adriennelawrence

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the help. I took Mikes advice and tried to put the two families together and was wondering if you agreed with them.

- Charles Smout bapt 1781  married Mary Davies 17 Feb 1806. Children Sarah bapt 20 April 1806 ; Samuel bapt 23 Aug 1807;  Elizabeth bapt 24 May 1809; Mary bapt 12 April 1811;  Charles bapt 10 Jan 1813; Martha bapt 30 Apr 1815.

1841 Charles was widowed an ag lab, living with Thomas Downes and his young sons in Burley, 1851 now listed as a pauper of 70 still in Burley with Thomas and Sarah Downes and their children.

- Charles Smout married Mary Pryce 8 May 1812  in Onibury. Children Sarah bapt 14 May 1815; Charles bapt 3 Aug 1817;  Edward bapt 2 Sept 1821;  Frances, Thomas and Eliza ( on 1841 census) 

1841 Charles 60 was living in Stanton Lacy with  wife Mary and four children a shoemaker. 1851 was living in Lower Hayton now a widowed shoemaker with son Edward and married daughter Sarah Evans and her daughter .

However I still have several children also born to Charles and Mary, do any of these perhaps belong to your family Susanna bapt 7 Apr 1817;  Anne bapt 20 Jun 1819;  John bapt 17 Oct 1819;  John bapt 28 Oct 1821;  Richard bapt 29 Feb 1824; Emma bapt 21 Feb 1826.

I have also found a marriage for Sarah Smout to Thomas Downes 14 Sept 1834 Ludlow which nicely puts my Charles Smout living with his eldest daughter and son in law in 1841 and 1851 however Sarah  is consistently 10 years too young and on the census 1851 to 1871 gives her birth place as Stanton Lacy.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I am winging this one with no chance to see original documents.

Regards Adrienne                                                

davews

Hi Adrienne

Thanks for getting back . It is a few years ago since I did the SMOUT research but will give you what I can. I did only follow my SMOUT line although I have the Culmington Parish records for SMOUTS from original Parish Records Baptisms.

6 Jan 1788   Thomas son of  Charles and Mary SMOUT..    20 June 1790    Anne   dau of ...   31 Mar 1806   Sarah  dau of   ..   12 Aug 1807  Samuel  son of ..     19 May 1809  Elizabeth  dau ..   12 April 1811  Mary dau of..   

Records now give address and occupation of father

• 10 Jan  1813    Charles son of Charles and Mary SMOUT   Vernals Common, Limer
  • 18 May 1815  Sarah  dau of                                                Siefton,  Shoemaker
  • 2 April 1817  Susanne  dau of                                              Vernals Common,  Limer
  • 3 Aug1817   Charles   son of                                               Siefton    Shoemaker
  • 20 June 1819  Anne dau of                                                    Vernals Common, Limer
  • 17 Oct 1819    John son of                                                    Siefton     Shoemaker
  • 2 Sept 1821    Edward    son of                                              Siefton   Shoemaker
  • 28 Oct 1821    John     son of                                                Vernals Common   Limer
  • 29 Feb 1824   Richard son of                                                 Vernals Common   Limer
  • 21 Feb 1826    Emma   dau of                                                  Siefton   Shoemaker                               

There is also Eliza  born about 1832   da of   C & M SMOUT  Siefton , Shoemaker.

My Ancestors  Charles SMOUT who married Mary PRICE on 8 May 1814 in Onibury ( so Sarah 1815 was the first born. she married  Edward EVANS)

They later went to live in Stanton Lacy  , Mary died in Stanton Lacy  in Oct 1844

I have a copy of a Will of Charles SMOUT ( shoemaker ) dated 1857 he died Nov 1857

Their son Charles SMOUT  ( my GGGrandfather ) married Mary LOCKLEY in 1839 in Bishops Castle and they also lived in Stanton Lacy

I hope this will help you as it did get confusing.  I do have a lot more Info on the SMOUT family  

Regards  . Dave.

davews

Hi Adrienne

Just noticed that three of the early records have a couple of dates

• Sarah  born 31 March 1806  Baptized   20 April   dau of Charles and Mary SMOUT
  • Samuel  born 12 August 1807  Baptized 23 Aug      son of
  • Elizabeth   born 19 May 1809   Baptized 24 May    dau of

Regards

Dave..

adriennelawrence

Hi Dave

Many thanks for your help on this one, you have taken me back one more generation which is great.

I am following Charles Smout through his son Samuel b 1807 subsequent generations move through Herefordshire and then into Wales. After John Jones and Evan Evans in my husbands tree I thought Smout would be relatively straight forward !  

Your Charles Smout -  bapt 19 July 1779 or 30 Sept 1781 both Culmington ?

My family all come from Durham (I live in Surrey) and I have thrown quite a bit of money at a researcher up there and got absolutely nowhere. Again Dave , many thanks for the information. 

Regards Adrienne