Susannah LEWIS born 1819 Little Ness, Shropshire

11 replies [Last post]
Alround

Hi SFHS.

I am looking for birth details of my Great Great Grandmother Susannah Lewis   1851 census tells me she was born in Little Ness  Married to Edwin Myott  A jeweller I wonder If any one can point me in the right direction I am a transcriber for FreeBmd and have looked at our records and Hugh Wallis site but cannot find any  birth or baptism record 

Martyn Freeth

You have forgotten to mention her age as stated in 1851.

Little Ness was long a chapelry of Baschuch parish, and baptisms for the likely period ought to be in the latter registers.

Looking at some of one's recent work, it would seem that the IGI has "real" entries for Baschurch baps up to at least 1818, ie beyond the frequent cut-off year of 1812. (New pre-printed registers of baps and burials were introduced as from 1.1.1813).

Alround

Hi Martyn.

Thanks for your speedy reply I did forget to state her age in 1851 It was given as 32.your news about Baschurch parish is very good now I can start searching again

Martyn Freeth

Thanks. (I should have noticed the year in the heading!).

If you have no luck with Baschurch (for Little Ness), baps at next-door Great Ness are covered by IGI after 1812 for some period (having made samples from other old work), but I seem to think that those for Montford, adjoining Little Ness to the south, are not. Query also nearby Fitz.

So, checks at Archives may be needed.

Alround

Hi Martyn.

Your Baschurch lead was perfect going to Hugh Wallis site I found her very quickly baptism 05 July 1818 name Susan not Susannah Father Thomas Lewis Mother Mary. I note there are no IGI Marriage details for Baschurch I dont suppose you can produce another rabbit from the hat by guiding me to marriage details. so many Thomas Lewis's in Shropshire.

I suppose viewing the actual parish register entry may give the Mothers full name presumably this will be at Shrewsbury.

Thanks for your help

Martyn Freeth

I'm afraid not "Just like that!".

Finding marriages after 1812 and before 1838 is difficult. IGI coverage of such is generally thin, even where baptisms may be included for such period for a parish - and that itself must be in a minority of cases. Here there is nothing in the IGI for a likely venue. Many rural couples liked to use one of the Shrewsbury parishes, or Meole Brace; and one surmises that in such cases a register entry: "of this parish" may be an untruth.

Perhaps first step is to look for Thomas and Mary in 1851 or later Censuses - to find parishes or origin.

There is the SFHS Marriage Index on cd - and available on computer at Archives - but still in infancy.

And no: the register for Susan's baptism wiill not give her mother's maiden name. That is very rare in C of E registers but common in some NC registers,

As you are familiar with the Hugh Wallis site (and I'm not) you may find films which have not been entered into the IGI. But brace for some tedious searching at Archives.

Michael J Hulme

Hello

The Shropshire Marriage Index mentioned by Martyn (see Shop above - it's in the drop down list) may have come up trumps.

Searching for a Marriage between a Thomas LEWIS and wife Mary brings up 19 records between 1665 and 1833 in various parishes but of particular interest is:-

29 May 1817 at Baschurch Thomas LEWIS and Mary BICKLEY

That is all the information in the index. I don't know whether the original register will provide any additional information. It should tell you their parish of residence and whether the marriage was by Banns or Licence plus the names of at least two witnesses.

Mike

Alround

Thanks Martyn.

Yes it is a problem the coverage between1812 & 1838 is thin, I have been searching for another ancestors Marriage in Worcestershire "Bethsheba Edwards I found her and her husband William in the 1841 census  living at Freebodies in Dudley With 3 children the oldest one being 6 years old  Bethshebas age being given as 25 but i suspect she was 27 which would give a rough estimate for marriage as 1834 but to no avail I can't find their marriage it really is frustrating. I have quite a few cds and one for shropshire but I do intend to purchase one of the SHFS Marriage indexes as soon as possible thanks again for the info.

Alround

Thank you Mike for the information I am just about to follow up your lead

Regds

Al.round

Martyn Freeth

Thanks. As regards your Dudley problem there are marriage indices for Worcs and Staffs (Dudley of couse having been an island of W in S), both sponsored by the Birmingham and Midlands Society for Genealogy and Heraldry (BMSGH). Staffs was claimed years ago to be complete (except for Handsworth). Not sure about current state of Worcs. Try the BMSGH website.

As regards Thomas and Mary Lewis, please note from a "parent" search 10 years either side of 1818 the possibility of an earlier child bap in Montford in 1816, query before marriage.

Martyn Freeth

Baschurch marriages, fiche at Archives:

29.5.1817 Thomas Lewis of this parish, bachelor and Mary Bickley, of this parish, spinster married by banns. Both sign by mark. Witnesses Edward Lewis and Eleanor Bickley (both by mark) and Richard Davies, a regular who signs.

Baschurch baps:

5.7.1818 Susan d of Thomas and Mary Lewis, Little Ness, labourer

Montford baps:

23.6.1816 Sarah d of Thomas and Mary Lewis, Forton, labourer. (Main hamlet of Forton is about 2 miles SSE of centre of Little Ness, but the township (ie parish sub-division) as a whole probably adjoins LN).

Alround

Hi Martyn thank you for the input all good information I have ordered one of the shrops marriage cd's and also applied for membership of the Soc.My Wifes ancesters also came from Shropshire " Beresford" family name I hope that name is not as common as Lewis. Re Bethsheba I will try the BMSGH site I was a member of the Birmingham Soc some years ago when I first tried tracing the ancesters but dropped out when work commitments increased so the history was put on one side for later in life