Thomas Roger Seymour SOUTHAM 1899-1964, Shrewsbury

6 replies [Last post]
angela35

From previous SFHS MessageBoard

I am trying to find possibly wife, children or any relative of this man born Shrewsbury 1899 died 1964 Shrewsbury. He is on ancestry but I have emailed 2 possible families but they havn't been on site for 6 months so not expecting any replies. Anything would be gratefully received.

Angela Bolton roy.angie@tiscali.co.uk

Martyn Freeth

Hello Angela. I imagine that he was of the family, possibly a grandson, of Thomas Southam who founded the wines and brewing business in Shrewsbury and was twice Mayor (1884/6). He is for free via Family Search in 1881 Census at The Hollies, Sutton Road, born 1819 (in Stottesdon as I already knew) with two adult, unmarried sons.

The wine business was merged with Tanners in 1960. See the Tanners Wines website. The present MD of the latter, a friend, has an interest in family history. He or a member of staff might know something to help with your query.

However, the usual approach to these questions is to look for a funeral or obituary report in the Shrewsbury Chronicle, on film at Archives. They have a card index, now on fiches. A member of staff was searching to answer such a query on a recent visit. (Cannot say whether this was a "freebie"). archives@shropshire.gov.uk

Martyn Freeth

Martyn Freeth

Correction. The merger of Tanners and Southams was in 1936. It was in 1960 that the Southam names was dropped.

By the way, the site of the brewery in Chester Street is now the Gateway educational or cultural centre.

Martyn Freeth

Martyn Freeth

Angela, I feel sure that you already know this.
Some "sideways" searching of index only of 1901 Census confirms that Thomas was son of Walter Thomas Southam (and wife married 1893) Eleanor Mary (Treasure), and thus indeed a grandson of Thomas, born about 1819. By the way, Walter's brother Herbert Robert Henry was a noted "antiquary" and was also a Mayor, and made an honorary freeman in 1904.

Martyn Freeth

Martyn Freeth

At Archives. The funeral of T R S S is reported in Shrewsbury Chronicle for 26.6.1964 on page 2. Not on film, but original copy. Not accessible on Saturday service. Suggest that you write in.

Martyn Freeth

angela35

Hi Martyn, many thanks for replying to this. Can you email me please. Delicate issue!

Angela Bolton roy.angie@tiscali.co.uk

Martyn Freeth

This thread has been continuing off-board.

Martyn Freeth