William LONG, 1881 verification help

6 replies [Last post]
morrisonman

Hello everyone, and a Happy New Year (-:

I am starting with William Henry LONG -- born Shrewsbury, 1855. From the 1881 Census (off IGI), I seem previously to have noted him as “Railway Carriage Foreman”, residing West Derby.  However, I cannot now replicate this entry to check it, so I wonder where it came from…  Failing to find any “William LONG born Shrewsbury” *at all*, I searched on his YoB only, and found a candidate = “Prisoner” at Portsea.
                        The place of birth is “Ireland”… However his neighbour Thomas DAVIS is “b. Shrewsbury”…  I am therefore tempted to think that there is an enumerator error here… (especially since the respective occupations seem to have been mixed up, crossed out & corrected also…).
                          Given the above, I am now wondering what Wm LONG was doing in prison so far from home… and (given that today happens to be Friday the 13th…) I have an unpleasant idea that he was maybe awaiting transportation ?
                          I would appreciate observations concerning this theory, and in particular details of how to find information about his “crime” (if any…).

Best regards,

Morrisonman

havern

Hi, I think you will find that Willam was in West Derby and a Railway carriage foreman (coach) on the 1891 census. He was by then married to Mary Hannah and had a 2 year old son also called William Henry. He was christened at St Cyprians, Edge Hill 28th April 1889. They went on to have Hugh christened 26th July 1891 and Mabel christened 27th August 1893, at the same church.

His parents were Thomas and Jane both born Shrewsbury. His siblings were Edward, Eugene, Mary Ann, Emma, Maria and Sarah.

I can't find him on an 1881 census, but he was notliving with his parents.

Hope this helps. Hazel

morrisonman

Many thanks, Hazel !

I agree, it was 1891 I wanted !

Otherwise you rinfo is welcome and meaningful + has avoided my having to research that myself (-:

I am pleased to see his kids' names -- they are most significant !

I actually thought his father, Thomas LONG, was born in Ireland - I seem to have a Kiilkenny in my head, from one of the censuses..

Thanks again for your input,

MM

havern

Just a bit more. I looked on the 1861 & 1871 census' and both Thomas & Jane give Shrewsbury as place of birth. On the 1861 he was a carter and on the 1871 a bricklayer's labourer living at 1 Horsefair, Holy Cross. The family comprised of Thomas & Jane and E ( I assume Edward) aged 27 and Maria.

I found the information on Ancestry. Hazel

morrisonman

Sorry, I have to differ with you on this, Hazel (-:

1861, & 1891, he says 'Ireland, Kilkenny"

1871 , 1881, he says "Ireland" and in 1901? he says "Salop" and "In Ireland".

So on balance, he was an Irishman !

It was Jane who was born Shrewsbury.

The "E" at 1881 is Eugemus also known as Hugh.

There is another "E", he is "Edward", my Gt-GF.

Thanks for your interest in my search !

MM

havern

Sorry, my mistake. Kilkenny on 1861 and Ireland on 1871. Hazel

morrisonman

No problems, Hazel,

He obviously had as bad a time with his memory as I do !

... or else was trying as desperately as me to identify with his Irish roots (-:

Have a nice day !

MM